Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question On Mead  (Read 1148 times)

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
Question On Mead
« on: December 31, 2009, 01:57:37 pm »
I have been feeding my bees 1 1 sugar water but about a month ago somebody gave me a jar of honey that they did not use anymore. I mixed this honey with some water then added it to the remaining quart jar that already contained sugar water. I took the jar off today and opened it up and smelled it and it sure smells like liquer. Can someone tell me if this is in fact mead or just a good tasting drink?

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: Question On Mead
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 04:06:12 pm »
If it has indeed started to ferment then yes after a manner of speaking you could said it's "mead-like".  Mead don't traditionally require extra sugar and they commonly have other ingredients depending on the recipe.  Since you aren't selling it i guess you can call it whatever you want.  As far as if it tastes good, I would doubt it but only you can judge of what you like.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
Re: Question On Mead
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 04:23:13 pm »
o yes it does taste pretty good. It tastes just like wine with a hint of honey. So it is actually liquer?