Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Double-Deep  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
Double-Deep
« on: October 18, 2009, 07:18:07 pm »
I am to build my hives soon and was thinking of benefits in theory of using double-deep frames, using top bar method of not lifting the 18” box full, but only each frame.
I would like any feedback about the use of Double-deep Hives.
Are any members using them? 
...  Rob

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Double-Deep
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 07:33:36 pm »
why not just do a top bar hive?  i suppose it would work, but i can see where inspections might be difficult.  if you were to need more than two deeps, it would be awkward.  there are times when you do just want to pull one box.  if you need to winter in one because your hive didn't build up, what would you do?  you'd have to do all your hives that way if you wanted to have the option of swapping resources.  honey comb would be really heavy.

i don't really see an advantage.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 09:52:39 pm »
I am to build my hives soon and was thinking of benefits in theory of using double-deep frames, using top bar
 Thank you Kathyp, I value your views, i should have included more info in first post.

> why not just do a top bar hive?  <
Yes i am planning a TBH, about 36 inch wide, 20” length (std. frame), but Double Deep @ 18”.
> i suppose it would work, but i can see where inspections might be difficult.<
 Why??   :? Are not inspections done one frame at a time?
  > if you were to need more than two deeps, it would be awkward. <
I was hoping i would, lots and lots of honey!  Size main hive so that 6 frame mediums could fit on top of honey end if i was not around during a honey flow.
> there are times when you do just want to pull one box.<
  I Never want to lift A full deep box. That's  why I like the idea of double deep frame, it's a Lot Lighter than even a  shallow box! (at my age i got to care full my back.)

> i don't really see an advantage. <
1.Winter Cluster Size! Not restricted. Not broken by spaces between frames using Commercial std.
2.Light, easy on my back!
3.No foundation, no carry over of Bad wax,
4.Pure clean as is ever possible Wax.
5.Less disease, natural size cells
6.Costs less
...  Rob

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 09:55:28 pm »
Robo , thanks i am gad i am not all alone. Robo , thanks i am gad i am not all alone.
I have been reading all i can find. Several beeks way back 50 to 150 years wrote about Sizes for Bees Not for Beekeepers! Really wish i kept notes of who to credit, but anyway my design will be a melting pot of different ideas thought of by others, older and wiser than me.
You post much better than i do. It's been another year since your last post (May, 2008) any updates? :-D
... Rob