Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spanish Lavender & Mimosa  (Read 9359 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Re: Spanish Lavender & Mimosa
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 04:52:50 pm »
Dane if this is your first year with it you won't believe how big the hyssops gets from the first year to the next.
If its not then you know how nice and big it gets.
I planted some average sized hyssops last year and they are 5 feet tall now.
I planted another dozen this year, the bees love them and they fill in some big areas quite nicely.
I usually buy the anise but have picked up some black adder and blue hills( I think its called) as well this year and they look nice planted together, it has a layered look of slightly different shades purple/blue.

Your pictures are beautiful.

Thank you so much Natalie.  :)  Though I've known of the Anise Hyssop for a couple of years, this is actually my first year with them.  They are indeed doing very well, flowering and at about 3', which puts them nicely above the beds of spearmint, oregano, basil, cilantro and catnip at their base.  I took some photos just now and will post them up on another thread.

what does the honey taste like from mimosa?i had no idea they got netcar from them.

They must get quite a lot of nectar from them as it flowers prolifically and for a fairly long while.  Much competition from the bumblers and hummingbirds for the Mimosa!

I'm unsure what Mimosa honey tastes like.  I imagine it is just a small % of the nectar that comprises my August Wildflower harvests.  I did find one honey on-line that is advertised as Acacia & Mimosa Honey.  I believe it may be more common in Saudi Arabia.

Mimosa, Albizia julibrissin, a legume (in the Pea Family), is a fast-growing, relatively short-lived tree from China that quickly colonizes roadsides and spoil areas across the eastern U.S. Its pink powder-puff blossoms are fragrant and practically drip with nectar, attracting everything from hummingbirds to honeybees to butterflies.