Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Time to extract yet?  (Read 2741 times)

Offline SystemShark

• House Bee
Time to extract yet?
« on: June 04, 2009, 10:59:54 am »
This has probably been answers a gazillion times but I couldn't find it in a quick search.

I'm getting a bit anxious I suppose. What time of year should I look to start extracting some honey? I have 2 hives that survived last winter and seem to be doing fantastic. The last inspection a couple weeks ago I noticed them filling out pretty nicely and took a small plastic butter dish out with me to sample the honey (yum).

Anyway, is there a specific time of the year or month that I should really consider harvesting or is it something I have to look for specifically during my inspections? If so, what to look for?

Also I dunno what method to use. I only have two hives so I'm not really worried about work load for now. Crush and Strain looked fun but I have plastic foundation so I couldn't cut right through the frame like Cindi did in her video. I don't have a spinning machine to load the frames in. Any other method that you guys can suggestion?

Thanks for the help, again.

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: Time to extract yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 11:04:35 am »
I am across the line from you here in Ohio.  I generally extract the first week of July and then again in October if the bees have enough to give in the fall.  Your best bet is to find someone (local club maybe) who has an extractor and use theirs.

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:09:51 pm »
Last year we extracted in the last week of June, depends on the flow. 

David

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 12:16:56 pm »
Anyway, is there a specific time of the year or month that I should really consider harvesting or is it something I have to look for specifically during my inspections? If so, what to look for?
Just depends. My Bee Culture calendar for June says "Harvest Early, Harvest Often" (ad for Jim Fischer's Bee-Quick). Some folks like to pull honey supers just one time. Others (like me) have a limited number of supers so when they start getting full I extract and put them back out to be filled again.

Also I dunno what method to use. ... I don't have a spinning machine to load the frames in. Any other method that you guys can suggestion?
I agree with jdpro - borrow an extractor if you can. My local equipment/bee supplier has a couple extractors they loan out to their customers. Clubs often have one for members to use. And it's always good to be pals with a neaby beek who owns an extractor.

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 01:21:25 pm »
I checked  my supers on April 29th and one hive (the strongest after the winter) had filled theirs completely so I harvested 10 pints from that 10 frame 6" super. I noticed them "bearding" severely again and checked it again on the 23th of May - I got another 3 pints from that hive (there was more but the neighbors kid came out to play) and 1 pint from another.
My third hive is a new capture this year, so they can keep all they can make this time around.

My "processing method" is simple. I pull the full frame. slice the comb out 1/2" or so below the support bar of the frame (after sweeping and then shaking the bees off). After collecting the harvest - I cut the comb into thirds and put it in a pot on the stove on low heat. I melt the comb and set aside.  The wax floats to the top and solidifies. When it's solid, but before it's cool to the touch, I strain through a canning strainer into jars.
But that's just how I've managed so far without a spinner.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 03:32:01 pm »
oooh not a good idea to put it on the stove too much chance of burning the honey.  if i were to go that route i'd do a double boiler method.  pot of boiling water air space and then a bowl with the honey and comb in the bowl.  just an idea but i don't like the idea of heating honey it can burn and mess up the taste.  crush and strain should but just fine for 2 hives though.  i think i saw plans on www.beesource.com for a extractor that you can make yourself.  But on the other hand by the time you have labor and materials you could probably just buy a cheap extractor that will serve the same purpose.  I think i saw one somewhere for around 200 which isn't bad cause mine was that back over 20 years ago.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 06:15:18 pm »
>Crush and Strain looked fun but I have plastic foundation so I couldn't cut right through the frame like Cindi did in her video. I don't have a spinning machine to load the frames in. Any other method that you guys can suggestion?

Cindi may have a video bit I believe it is Tillie you are referencing. You can just scrape the comb off the plastic foundation and continue with crush and strain from there.

>My "processing method" is simple. I pull the full frame. slice the comb out 1/2" or so below the support bar of the frame (after sweeping and then shaking the bees off). After collecting the harvest - I cut the comb into thirds and put it in a pot on the stove on low heat. I melt the comb and set aside.  The wax floats to the top and solidifies. When it's solid, but before it's cool to the touch, I strain through a canning strainer into jars.

Never heard of this until I believe you or someone else posted it in another post. How did you decide on this method. Just curious. Melting the wax in the honey doesn't give you problems?

I know what would happen to me I would scorch it all :shock:!
John 3:16

Offline Wes Sapp

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 06:51:52 pm »
I just scraped 4 frames of honey yesterday that was plastic foundation and used a spatula.
Wes Sapp

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 07:15:46 pm »

My "processing method" is simple. I pull the full frame. slice the comb out 1/2" or so below the support bar of the frame (after sweeping and then shaking the bees off). After collecting the harvest - I cut the comb into thirds and put it in a pot on the stove on low heat. I melt the comb and set aside.  The wax floats to the top and solidifies. When it's solid, but before it's cool to the touch, I strain through a canning strainer into jars.
But that's just how I've managed so far without a spinner.

From what I understand, you lose a lot of the natural enzymes and minerals in your honey if you heat it above 120-140 degrees, and I don't think that you can get the wax to melt at that temp. 

Just scrape it off with anything you've got and the bees will clean up anthing that you leave on the frames.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 08:22:45 pm »
I didn't look up the melting point of the wax---- but my thoughts exactly!!!
John 3:16

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 12:31:08 am »
I use the crush and strain method.  I cut the combs into the flour sack lined hamper on my cider press and spin the handle until I can't spin no more.  I get very nice, strained honey that can be bottled straight into the jar from the hamper.  I do use a tea strainer to collect the errant bee that wants to take some back to her hive.

Question, just for laughs:  They sell Tequila with a cactus worm in it, will the same thing work for honey?  Seems like it might be a good way to Brand a honey.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline The Beekeeper

• Brood
    • Beekeeping for Beginners
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 10:25:02 am »
I think it goes with the flow, and time of the season. Usually the first week of June is the right time.

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 11:04:26 am »
I didn't look up the melting point of the wax----
Well the comments on this thread got me to go looking stuff up.  :-D
Melting point of beeswax = 145°F-147°F
"Standard" Honey pasteurization involves heating it between 70°C-80°C (158°F-176°F)
Heating honey will impede and/or prevent crystallization during storage.
Q.: Does heating solidified honey to melt it destroy its nutritive value?

JWR Replies: There is obviously some damage to enzyme chains, so over-heating honey is not recommended. But heating honey short of the boiling point will not destroy its basic food value. Remember, use only low heat.
During processing, several steps are taken to prolong the liquid state of honey.
Pasteurization delays the process of crystallization by dissolving any crystals that may be
present in the crude product. Pasteurization also affects yeast cells which considerably
reduces the possibility of fermentation. Recommended pasteurization treatments include flash pasteurization (170 °F for a few seconds) or heating at 145°F for 30 minutes

Since the low heat I use has not impeded the crystallization process (I've had some start to crystallize within 2 weeks of harvest) - I think I'm still OK doing it this way. Provided of course I do not later try to make Mead out of it. :D
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline SystemShark

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 12:15:24 pm »
Great responses! I checked with my beeclub and the vice prez said he does it 3 times - the first of which is in the middle of June so I'll wait a couple of weeks, order some more toys and try it then.

anything