Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bee pollen Granules  (Read 6453 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
bee pollen Granules
« on: January 03, 2009, 02:28:39 pm »
We got my duaghter two Cockateils for Christmas. I was looking up some sites as for what is the best food to feed them and this is what I found. Im sure it has proabaly been posted before but I thought it was interesting if anyone has not seen it.

http://www.localharvest.org/natural-bee-pollen-granules-C2427

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: bee pollen Granules
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:15:26 pm »
What nice parents!  What color are they, boys, girls or both?  I used to raise them before I got married this time.  My preference was pied cause of the different patterns. Seeds shouldn't be more than 50% of their diet, 30 would be better but thats hard to achieve unless they are raised that way. I make a mash for mine, they eat it every day along w/seeds & veggies.  They are not really fruit eaters, maybe apple now & then if they can make a mess!
1c 15bean soup or split peas/lentil. the more variety the better.   I use organic but you can do whatever you want.
1 1/4C boiling water. Let sit covered in the pan for 1hr
add
1C rice
1C small kibble cat or dog
1C frozen corn
1C water
dump & mix, bring to a boil again, cover let sit 1hr. It should be kinda dryish & crumbly but not always! If gloppy I put in some steel cut oats, mix & let sit for awhile more.
divvy it up into ice cube trays or I use old yogurt cups, they equal 3 days worth.  Freeze & bring out as needed.  They may be resistant to new stuff, NP, just keep on shoving it in front of them & they will eventually try it.  If there is a green treat they like you can try putting it on top.  It won't kill em to take their seed away for a day, like at night.  They will be hungry in the am & by lunch they should be trying it.
CORN BREAD
In blender
1pkg cornbread mix, can be jiffy or organic or whatever, even make from scratch.
3-4 whole eggs, shell & all
about 2C assorted veggie chunks, nuts, peas, broccoli, radish tops, carrots, kale, chard, cabbage, anything but avocado, they can't have that.
enough milk to make batter
whiz it up till blended & veggie chunks are small but visable..like a (split pea size)
Pour into those little tart cups, or into baking pan & bake till done.  Time will vary depending on the veggies used.  Mine love these treats. Freeze & use as needed.
You know they can live 20-25 years right??  Mine are 16 & 17 now so not like a hamster or bunny that is gone after a few years!
Pics??
Good luck!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 01:48:09 pm »
Jody, you have gotta be kidding me, no wonder you are never bored.  You actually spend that much time and effort to make your own food for the birds like that, I am shocked, I am serious.  I am still sitting here with my mouth hanging open.  Wonder what is wrong with me.  I don't think that I could ever in my lifetime spend that much time to make some food for my birds, me bad.  Maybe I should rethink how I am looking after them, hee, hee,  :-P :lol:.  Anyways, good and wonderful for you, you must have some very contentful birds!!!  Yeah, you go girl!!!  Have a great day, life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 05:08:07 pm »
I got her two girls because they have already been together for a couple of years. I think they are a mutnat because they are mostly gray but one has yellow and white feathers on her head. I have been reading lots of the birds because I like to take as good as care as I can with a pet. We allow them to come out during the day to fly and stretch their wings. My daughter just bought them a play center that goes outside the cage somewhere so they can fly to it and have fun and eat treats. We are still trying to get them to hop up on our finger but right now they are happy with hissing at us. For those that dont know even a little Cockateil can draw blood when they bite you, I know! :shock:

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:58:05 pm »
Oh Shawn, I know very well how they can draw blood!  They make a nifty little V cut!  Worse than the tiels though are budgies..they grab onto your cuticle or right under your nail & gnaw away!  Don't ever let them scare you away, always grab em somehow even whilst gushing blood.  They can never learn to get their way by biting..it would be like giving candy to your kid when they spit at you!  You can teach them to get "up" by putting your finger against their breast, right over the feet.  They will almost always step up, complaining all the way. Once they learn they can't scare you they will settle down & comply  It is equivalent to teaching a dog to sit, and can be used to calm & catch a frightened bird if they are trained very well.  Your daughter will have fun with them.  The one sounds like a pied, or it could be a slow maturing male? I hand raised PA (piss ant) from the day he hatched.  He is and always has been a little booger. Acts like he is gonna rip your nails out & does sometimes bite though not often.  He will look very cute & cuddly with strangers till they put their finger in the cage!! :evil:  His 1/2 bro QT is the sweetest thing, always has been.  You can grab him anytime & he snuggles.  In my clutches there would be 1 PA type, 1-2 QT's & the rest somewhere in between. I kinda like the ornery ones,(not for beginners or kids tho)  they stand out & it's fun to watch them try to outsmart you.
Cindi, it doesn't really take that much time, I just do it while making breakfast.  Sometimes I don't get around to packaging it till evening but oh well! :roll:  I told you my animals hit the lottery!  If I'm entrusted to care for them, I will do my best to have them healthy & happy...well, maybe pesk em a little too to keep em on their toes! :evil:  Hence my screen names..poka-whatever!  J
PS..when you re-boil the mix for the last time WATCH to turn it off once it boils...It welds onto the pan quite quickly, makes the fire alarms go off, stinks & is VERY hard to chip & clean the pan after!!! 

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 02:15:30 pm »
Poka-bee, here are a few pictures of the birds. Maybe you can tell me what kind they are. My daughter bought them a play area for outside the cage and they seem to like it, when we are not in the room. For the first time the other day they were out flying and returned to their cage without me having to catch them and causing me serious pain!

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 03:57:16 pm »
It's kinda hard to tell when not there but I would venture that they are pearl/pied/grey mixes.  The pearling is on the breast of pic #2 & the yellow on the head of #3(pied)  They are hens cause of the yellow spotting on the tails,(young males also look like this but moult out to mostly solid) & if you look closely @ the feathers under the wings, there will be little yellow spots closest to the body & white spots on the flight feathers.  Grey are easy to tell M/F cause of the yellow head, male pearls go grey at the adult molt, pieds & whites the only way you can be fairly sure is the wing spots.  I got pretty good @ sexing around 98%  raising em for 10 years!  Have fun, they are a hoot to watch & do have distinct personalaties! PA is like his mom Piper was, LOVES to rip your earrings out & toss em..somehow no matter where you are in the house they go down the heater vents!   :-x  J

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 02:14:55 pm »
Ok tok some more photos of them out of the cage.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 09:21:10 pm »
Pretty sure of the pearl/pied!  Love it when they pouft out the little feathers by their beaks!  Watch em good while out of the cage, they will chew through wires, important papers, peel off wallpaper, chew up molding, chairs, cabinetry...busy little buggers when not attended to!  J

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 11:25:05 pm »
Thanks! We let them out about every three to four days and they go back into the cage when their ready, not before unless there is someone getting blood drawn. We still have not been able to get them to get on a finger or even pet them. I know it takes time but Im ready for them to be nice.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 11:50:20 pm »
Patience, patience, patience!  You can use gloves (your leather bee ones will work! ;) ) or a dishtowl to get em out of the cage, one at a time.  Find something to use as a perch & take em into the bathroom tub or a large box on it's side, so 3 sides are covered & you are in the front.  Keep making them get "UP", eventually they will get the idea.  You can use a stick but I like em to get used to the finger/hand right off. If you don't have cats or a dog that will eat them, clip the wings. Tiels are great strong flyers so you will have to do all of the flight feathers, maybe leave just the 1st one. Look to make sure there aren't any blood feathers (fat shaft w/little or no tuft of feathers coming out the top) they are growing in. Use sharp scissors & snip the flight feathers, right below the last set of smaller feathers. If you clip a blood feather take it in your fingers & pull it out in the direction it is growing. Sounds icky but it will stop the bleeding & the hole will close up quickly. That greatly helps the "attitude" as they can't fly away & laugh at you!  You can also sit on the sofa or wherever & hold em on your chest, keep your hands (with protection) between their heads & your chin & ears.  They will tame down, but may complain forever like PA!  J 

anything