Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: retorts needed!  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
retorts needed!
« on: September 01, 2008, 01:01:34 pm »
Some friends came round to see my bees the other day and loved trying the honey straight from the hive - however when my friend went home and raved about it to her husband he simply replied that it wasn't 'pasteurized'!!  :roll:  They're coming over for lunch today and I'm not great at quick responses to things and thinking quickly - any quick replies to this?

I have a feeling there was more to his reply than just the fact that the honey wasn't pasteurized ;) 

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:48:02 pm by Janemma »

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Re: retorts needed!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 01:17:33 pm »
Some friends came round to see my bees the other day and loved trying the honey straight from the hive - however when my friend went home and raved about it to her husband he simply replied that it wasn't 'pasteurized'!!  :roll:  They're coming over for lunch today and I'm not great at quick responses to things and thinking quickly - any quick replies to this?

I have a feeling there was more to his reply than just the fact that the honey wasn't pasteurized ;) 

He's visited the bees in the past and seemed very interested but I get the feeling that although his wife and I are great friends, we'll never quite click 100% with the husband :(

Your Friend's husband needs to be "educated". Pasteurization is sterilization, we don't do that to Honey, period.  :-D

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 01:21:07 pm »
For at least 2700 years, honey has been used by the Egyptians and also by modern humans to treat a variety of ailments through topical application, but only recently have the antiseptic and antibacterial properties of honey been chemically explained. Wound Gels that contain antibacterial honey and have regulatory approval for wound care are now available to help conventional medicine in the battle against drug resistant strains of bacteria MRSA. As an antimicrobial agent honey may have the potential for treating a variety of ailments. One New Zealand researcher says a particular type of honey may be useful in treating MRSA infection

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 02:50:31 pm »
[...we don't do that...]

We don't NEED to do that!

Its not that we don't, its absolutely not necessary and actually destructive to honey!

Its shows that he has no idea what makes honey have flavor.

I'd be sure to tell him that heating honey turns it into a junk sugar product. (at least excessive heating).

Keep in mind its not worth casting pearls before swine - choose your words wisely and be brief (people tune-out fast).
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 03:19:03 pm »
Why would we need to pasturize bee barf?? :evil: Sorry, my 1st reaction to that type of person is to have some fun with em... :roll:  Honey has all those benificial enzymes & antibacterial properties that are killed by high heat, like whole foods, fruits & veggies, yogurt etc.
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 10:36:35 pm »
If you want to ruin honey, just pasteurize it.  If you want to enjoy it, then don't.  No one pasteurizes it, the big honey producers just flash heat it to keep it from crystallizing.  If they pasteurized it, it would not only taste as bad (which it already does) it would turn darker and taste even worse.

The only harmful spores that MIGHT be in honey are already in and on all raw fruits and vegetables and pasteurization won't kill them anyway.  It takes boiling under pressure to kill botulism spores.  Do you pasteurize your apples?  Your carrots?  Your lettuce for you salad?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 11:57:17 pm »
Wonder what they did before Louie Pasture :shock: :-D! Probably eat healthy ;). 
John 3:16

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:11:25 pm »
Ask him if he ever did the pineapple/jello experiment.  Remember that one anybody?  Take canned pineapple and mix it into the jello and it sets up nice and rubbery.  Do the same thing with fresh pineapple and the jello stays liquid.  Canning kills everything live because the product is heated, just like pasteurization, so the enzymes in the canned pineapple are killed and can't break down the protein in the gelatin.  So in the same way all the valuable constituents of honey would be killed if heated too much.

It's about all those great enzymes, nutrients, anti-oxidizing compounds and many others that get zapped if you cook your food.  I eat the majority of my food raw and do a lot of fresh veggie juices, and the difference in my health and energy has been huge in the last few years.  Just tell him to look up Jack Lalane if he has any questions!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 01:28:32 am »
That is crap!!!  Only three words I can say, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 10:41:45 am »
"Its not only pasteurize, it is past your brain!" :roll:

Honey ain't pasteurized. 
The whole botulism only applies to infants that don't have a mature immune system or much gut flora.  And you are not supposed to feed raw vegetables to infants under 9Mo old either for the same reason, since botulism is a soil bacteria, and this applies only to the botulism bacteria, NOT the botulism toxin which occurs in canned veggies. 

But most babies can't chew raw veggies, and I don't think that I want to meet one that can....
Honey is only a problem in infants because it was convenient to dip the pacifier in honey to get the baby to take it.

I used to think that honey was pasteurized too.  Mostly because of the warnings and misinformation about babies.

Rick
Rick

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 03:30:09 pm »
Tell your frind to find some pastuerized honey. Wish'm luck!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".