Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honeybee flight altitude  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Honeybee flight altitude
« on: August 13, 2008, 05:53:55 pm »
Does anyone know what altitude honeybees typically fly at en route to/from foraging?  What is their maximum altitude? 

I just noticed a lofty gathering of sparrows who were messing a bit with Oscar & Lucinda (our resident red-tail hawks here @ the wetlands) as they were riding the thermals up today.  The sparrows act as if they are feeding very well up there... lots of abrupt changes of direction that I'm guessing is some flying snack snatched out of the air (hoping it's not the bees!).

TIA,
Dane

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Honeybee flight altitude
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 07:41:23 pm »
Sounds like they are snacking on some banded sweets, I've seen high flight paths before.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Honeybee flight altitude
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:16:24 pm »
Whatever height they need to get to clear all obstacles in the way and fly straight to the location they are headed for.  In the woods this may be 100 feet.  If the hives are near the road and the blooms are down the road this may be four feet.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin