Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Uneven comb and drone cells???  (Read 1658 times)

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
Uneven comb and drone cells???
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:54:15 am »
Hi, I started 2 hives this spring. They seem to be doing well.
They are bringing in plenty of pollen.
I have done a couple of inspections and found that one of the hives is lagging behind the other.
Last week I added a super to the west hive because they had drawn out 8 of the 10 frames, and I found
one supersedure cell.
(i'm using all 10 frame mediums)
The east hive had only drawn 5 frames so I checked it again a week later and they had about 7-1/2 drawn, so I added a super.

What's bugging me is the comb is very uneven and one frame has a row of what look to be drone cells.
They go all the way across the upper part of the frame below where their storing the sugar syrup.
It look's like a mountain range. The brood looks good, the queen is laying and their storing pollen.

Guess I need to know if this is a sign of somthing or is it normal?
I only saw 2 drone cells in the west hive and the comb is drawn rather evenly.

Any insight on this??....Thanks

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Uneven comb and drone cells???
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 10:00:44 am »
Try2BeeGood.  Colonies of bees will all build up differently.  Some will raise more drone brood than others, that is a sign of nothing.  Drones in a colony are a good thing, it means too that the colony is feeling good about themselves, hee, hee, that they are strong enough to make drones.  All colonies need and make drones.  The uniformity in the frames that you described as a mountain will probably work itself out eventually.  Don't worry too much.  It sounds like the colonies are building up just fine.  Welcome to the world of the bees that keep us guessing all the time, wondering what on earth they are up to.  Have that most beautiful and wonderful day, lovin' our life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Uneven comb and drone cells???
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:07:03 am »
Welcome.  Yes, all colonies are different.  I have drones in the "blue" already & just a few capped drone cells in the "greens" I just try to relax & remember that bees have been doing this for thousands of years as opposed to my 2 months!  As long as they are growing steadily even if not equal I think things are ok...Others wiser than I may have differing opinions but that's mine!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

anything