Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Now what do I do?  (Read 1492 times)

Offline papabear

• House Bee
Now what do I do?
« on: May 17, 2008, 04:34:01 pm »
I opened a hive today and it looked like they were starting to swarm at that moment.They were just coming out and leaving, not after me just leaving. I knew something was wrong. After removing the top box(drawn comb little honey) the second box was 80% honey. the third box was uncapped honey with about 2 or 3 maggots from SHB. forth box was the same but more worms. No brood or eggs. What do I do now? Please help. It looks like they swarmed, about 10 days ago there were 10 times more bees than now. OH, in front of the hive were all the brood and unborn bees.
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Re: Now what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 04:50:55 pm »
Start trapping ASAP.  Just came in from checking our three hives found two beetles in one hive no sign of SHB larva. :-x  Checked for Beetles in traps but only found one.  Plan to do more reading about trapping.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 07:37:28 pm »
I'd also reduce the size of the hive to what they can patrol and take care of.  Freeze the remaining frames to kill the eggs.  Also, SHB eggs won't hatch if the humidity is low enough so if you can keep it in a low humidity area you can keep them down.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline papabear

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:30:47 am »
Is the honey still good. There is no sign of a queen.
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

anything