Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Really, really hot weather coming  (Read 3622 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Really, really hot weather coming
« on: May 13, 2008, 12:24:48 am »
Well we should have temp into the 100's this week. I am worried about it as we are in the beginning of a honey flow and I am wondering if all the nectar will dry up now this week. If it should get cooler again after this heat wave, will the flowers once again get nectar, or will the hot weather just finish the nectar for the year. 

Anyone have any opinions??

Annette

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Re: Really, really hot weather coming
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:35:12 am »
Know what you mean about the heat.  Couple of days ago it was 76F at 10:30PM and the humidity was near 100%.  Much cooler tonight 64F and 67% humidity at 10:34PM.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:15:59 am »
I'll second that on the temps!  With all of the storms that we have been having in the mid-Atlantic area, I'm glad that I didn't open up my reducer a couple of weeks ago when it was 90 degrees!

This past weekend, I even removed the pop sicle sticks that I had under the inner cover in an effort to button up the hive for the rainy weather, wind, and low temps that we have experienced over the past 3-4 days.  Heck, last night, our low temp was 46..............in mid May!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:42:37 am »
I'll second that on the temps!  With all of the storms that we have been having in the mid-Atlantic area, I'm glad that I didn't open up my reducer a couple of weeks ago when it was 90 degrees!

This past weekend, I even removed the pop sicle sticks that I had under the inner cover in an effort to button up the hive for the rainy weather, wind, and low temps that we have experienced over the past 3-4 days.  Heck, last night, our low temp was 46..............in mid May!

Yeah that Global Warming thing is a bear :roll:

Offline lovelyembalmer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:03 am »
Yea know, Blackberries are blooming in our area. and sometimes we can have what old timers call "Blackberry Winter". :'( Bad for the bees and blackberries.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 12:42:56 pm »
Blackberries this early?? :? :shock:  Ours usually don't get going till mid July to Sept.  Salmon & thimble berries are slow this spring as are the lilacs. They are just starting & I'm a week behind the people out of our little hilbilly hollow micro climate!  (I live down by the river (but not in a van!! :-D) What's sourwood?? :?  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline lovelyembalmer

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 12:17:18 pm »
Blackberries in the piedmont of NC are blooming like crazy now. All the roadside and fields are full of white beautiful blooms. It was still in the 40's this morning. 

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 09:53:38 pm »
Quite often hot dry weather makes concentrated nectar and great honey flows.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 10:09:07 pm »
 Cen. Fl.. No rain since the first week of April to amount to anything. My bees seemed to have quit with the orange blossoms. Just maintaining, no increase.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 10:37:11 pm »
Hi Poka Bee,
Sourwood is a tree that grows in the southern Applachians.  It blooms in mid summer.  The bees love it!  i think it makes one of the world's best tasting honey. 

Offline wayseer

• House Bee
    • Beaver Rock
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 10:45:36 pm »
Not sure if you guys in the US use what we call migatory lids.  These are lids raised about 40mm with 4 holes in the risers with grid mesh.  These allows air to circulate through the hive.  Australia has some pretty hot temps at times, well over the 100 mark and bees handle the heat quite well.  Make sure they have access to water.
www.beaverrox.blogspot.com/

Life is a river somewhere

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 01:05:35 pm »
Well, thanks for your responses to this. We are in it right now and it is hot. Especially up at the apiary. The bees seem to be fine and are shooting out like rockets, getting that honey as fast as possible.

I sure hope you are right MB about the good honey flows during this time. I will let you all know.

Take care
Annette

Offline mairghead

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 01:28:06 pm »
I've never longed for hot weather before this year, but this whole thread makes me long for something other than this non stop not quite chilly rain we have been getting for weeks on end.  I know when it finally breaks I'll regret being wistful, but it's such a nice fantasy to think about sunny, warm California when the rain doesn't ever seem to stop.

anything