Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Athens, Ga  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Amanda

• New Bee
Hello from Athens, Ga
« on: May 09, 2008, 07:21:32 pm »
Hi everybody,
    I've been reading a lot here for a few months.  I've asked some questions and gotten some very good answers, but I never really introduced my self.  My name's Amanda and I'm 18.  I get my first bees in a little less than two weeks.  I'm so excited!  My family has a sort of hobby farm.  We have about 15 chickens, two ducks, two pigs, two cats and a dog.  My mom has a large garden, and we're hoping the bees will help with the pollination there.  We're also starting an orchard/vineyard which the bees should be a big help with.
~Amanda

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Re: Hello from Athens, Ga
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:29:57 pm »
Great to have you on board!  You'll learn a lot here and the people are fantastic.
What preparations have you made for your Bees?  Tell everyone more about your Bees (Hive? Nuc? Package) and you will get all kinds of good advice.
Wow! 18. :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:34:32 am »
Amanda, welcome to our forum, so glad that you found us, you are one of our younger members and that is cool, cool, cool.

You already know that this is the place to spend quality time, having questions answered, it is good, you will also make some new friends too.  So nice that you have a place where you can get the bees to pollinate your Mother's gardens.  The bees will increase the amount of crop harvest and the quality of the produce, not a single doubt.  Isn't it nice to live on a little farm?  I love farmlife, could never survive in a city without my land surrounding me.  Beautiful and the best day, love our life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 05:32:50 pm »
Welcome to the forum Amanda.
I grew up in Morgan County.
I know you know where that is, Madison,
We had a 180 acre farm between Madison and Rutledge. I-20 goes right through where my Cotton Field use to be.
I live about 50 miles down the road from Madison now.

I heard they were going to close down Keith Delieplane's ,re serch operation.
Have you heard anything about it. :)doak

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 07:53:06 am »
Hello and Welcome!

This is a very friendly and informative forum for learning about bees. It's fun learning from beekeepers around the country and around the world. Let me recommend the 'search' function. I've found that many times my question has already been discussed, and I can immediately find an answer to my question.

Also, I always recommend joining a local bee club:
http://www.gabeekeeping.com/local_clubs.htm
Clubs are good places to find mentors, and get connected with nearby beeks so you can learn all the "local beekeeping knowledge".

And now for the rest of the day I'm gonna have the song 'Amanda' going thru my head....

anything