Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Uncapped pupae cells  (Read 3783 times)

Offline rayb

• House Bee
Uncapped pupae cells
« on: August 18, 2007, 05:49:48 pm »
There are nice egg and larvae patterns but some of the cells are not capped or have been uncapped. I can see some fairly mature workers with purple eyes indicating they were well along. Why are these uncapped? Would a larva mature to this purple eye stage if the cell were not capped in the first place?There is only a small percentage like this but I don't like it.

Thanks, Ray

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: Uncapped pupae cells
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 07:07:50 pm »
bees do beesnes. i'd say they still have the "spartan" style of raising youngs, those who are not fit, die.

you can check but if my memory checks, few uncapped pupae are not a sign of any "serious" disease.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 08:51:44 pm »
>Why are these uncapped? Would a larva mature to this purple eye stage if the cell were not capped in the first place?There is only a small percentage like this but I don't like it.

Most likely they are cleaning out Varroa infested cells.  This is a good trait.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 12:50:38 pm »
Going through the cobwebs in my mind.  Seems to me, that last year I had these uncapped pupa close to the purple eye stage.  I asked a question to the man who wrote the book "Beekeeping for Dummies", Howland Blackiston.  He wrote back to me that he would have suspected a condition referred to as "chilled brood".  So, perhaps this is what is occurring.  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 10:19:45 pm »
>"chilled brood"

Chilled brood usually doesn't look so perfect and healthy though.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 02:00:44 am »
>"chilled brood"

Chilled brood usually doesn't look so perfect and healthy though.

Micahael.  I must ask a question.  Chilled brood refers (in my understanding) to any brood that has not been kept warm enough, it therefore perishes.  So....is it not possible that brood at any stage of development die because of cold.  Even at the purple eye stage, or even close. Your statement confused me somewhat.  Please elaborate.  Best of this beautiful life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 07:56:41 am »
>Chilled brood refers (in my understanding) to any brood that has not been kept warm enough, it therefore perishes.

Correct.

> So....is it not possible that brood at any stage of development die because of cold.

Yes.  But pupae are much tougher.  Marla Spivak, when testing for hygenic behavior by killing brood,  says she never had any luck killing pupae with dry ice, they would survive even freezing temperature.

>  Even at the purple eye stage, or even close.

True.

> Your statement confused me somewhat.  Please elaborate.

Brood that dies from being chilled quickly turns more off color.  Brown or even black.  Larvae do this quicker than puape, but nice pearly white pupae were probably alive when they were ucapped.
-------------------

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 12:33:16 pm »
Brood that dies from being chilled quickly turns more off color.  Brown or even black.  Larvae do this quicker than puape, but nice pearly white pupae were probably alive when they were ucapped.

Michael, further elaboration is required.  How long after death do the pupae darken?

Now, another question comes to the forefront.  If chilled brood turns brown or even black, is there a resemblence to chalkbrood?  Have a wonderful day, listening, learning.  Cindi

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 10:28:17 pm »
>Michael, further elaboration is required.  How long after death do the pupae darken?

Pupae start by turning brown but usually they remove them before they turn black.  Larvae if they are abandoned by a small cluster in cold weather will often turn black in a few days.

>Now, another question comes to the forefront.  If chilled brood turns brown or even black, is there a resemblence to chalkbrood?

No.

-------------------