Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ready for bees but packages delayed  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
Ready for bees but packages delayed
« on: April 30, 2007, 01:12:10 am »
I went out this afternoon and set up my new hives in anticipating for my packages to arrive on Tuesday. After getting them all set and driving home I received a call from my bee supplier telling me that the bees had been delayed yet again and now they are to come sometime mid May. This is starting to suck. Originally the bees were to be here at the beginning of April. Does anyone know of anywhere shipping bees to Pa right now. I would just wait but I am afraid that they may not ever get here.

Is it a good idea to leave the bee less hives set out. I have a "front door" (screen thing to keep bees in/out) in place. There is some drawn come, some foundation, and some frames of honey in the hive. 

On a better note my one other hive is doing a lot better. I would say that its size has doubled over the past 2 weeks. The queen must be doing well as there is a lot more brood then before.

Click to enlarge!
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Ready for bees but packages delayed
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:05:12 am »
Sorry to hear about the delay.

You hive looks like it's doing very well.

Sincerely.
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 09:15:08 am »
I deal with Draperbee in Millerton, Pa. which is about 2 hours from you. Give them a call and see if they have any packages left : 570-537-2381.  :-D
or 800-233-4273
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 07:56:54 pm by buzzbee »

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 09:34:54 am »
Just keep an eye out for ants (and wax moth if not treated) and you should be fine.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 07:15:20 pm »
Thanks guys. I gave Draper a call today. Their bees will be coming mid may as well. So it will be cheeper and eaiser to just get them from the original suplier. If they ever come that is.

I did treat the empty hives with certin (sp?) but they are kind of in the woods so I am sure there will be ants. I guess I could put something on the blocks to keep them away.

Thanks
Greg
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline bee crazy

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 10:40:13 pm »
May I ask who your buying your packages from? What is their reasons for not delivering?
I seems this is happening a lot this year.
Steve

www.cozynestfarm.com

All that's golden must bee honey!

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 10:52:41 pm »
I ordered from draper this year. They came in late, but what I did not like is that they did not tell me they were coming in late. When I called, they did not know as they outsource many of the packages and did not appear interested in finding out.  In my experience, you can  delay delivery to your customers and keep them happy about it as long as you keep them informed.

Offline wrk4beer

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 11:10:13 pm »
My bees were supposed to come two weekends ago,but were delayed until last Saturday.
I got a postcard from Wilbanks in Ga.the supplier and a phonecall from Betterbee on the prior
Thursday.I felt that was very good buisness as I had plenty of time to redo my scheduele.
Got them last Saturday as I was told they are in the hive and doing fine so far.
Dealing with Betterbee was a great experience,easy to deal with every thing went smoothly
and they had the time to answer all my questions even though they were extremely busy.
Good luck with yours.
Keith
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.
Mark Twain

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 11:43:24 pm »
    I was sent a letter (wife got it and didn't tell me) earlier to inform me of a month delay due to CCD.  I e-mailed to verify pick-up and received a prompt response about the delay and the letter.  For me not a problem.  Later that day I told my wife about the delay and that I hadn't received a letter.  She said "Yes you did". :-D
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline MBrowne

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 11:48:43 pm »
I ordered from draper this year. They came in late, but what I did not like is that they did not tell me they were coming in late. When I called, they did not know as they outsource many of the packages and did not appear interested in finding out. 
I ordered 1 package from Draper too and got the same response.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 11:44:49 pm »
My bees were 2 weeks late in getting here too.  From what I understand the CCD hit queen and package suppliers almost as bad as some commercial polinators/honey producers.  They had to build up their stocks in order to be able to meet the sales already on the books (placed over the winter).  some are not accepting additional orders, some are not offering bees at all this year, some aree offering queens but not packages like they usually do, and most that are are running way behind.   
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything