Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will this stop workers from wanting to lay  (Read 1917 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Will this stop workers from wanting to lay
« on: April 24, 2007, 06:11:54 pm »
Hello All

Well it has been about two weeks or maybe more and my two hives have no queen the last swarm that left my first hive was my virgin queen that was on her mating flight but since no brood was in the hive except for a few capped ones some of the bees went with her and my next door neighbor got them. Oh well i was told to put a frame of brood in eacch hive and let them start raising thier own but i have two on order that will be here in a day or two. By putting brood in these hives will it stop workers from wanting to lay or will they go on any way. I have two queens coming but i do not want workers laying thats why i am asking this. ;)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Will this stop workers from wanting to lay
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 06:23:40 pm »
I don't think there will be a problem with workers laying.  If you want to be sure you can take the hive away from it's current position and shake all the bees out and then set it up in a new location, put your brood and the queen in and then just sit back and wait. 

Side note:  Laying workers are usaly young bees that have not been outside the hive so shaking them out and then re-setting the hive up usally fixes the laying worker problem.

Offline tom

• House Bee
Re: Will this stop workers from wanting to lay
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 09:45:43 pm »
Thanks

I was wondering about this i took a frame of brood and put it in each hive to see if they are really queenless if i find that they have built queen cells then i will know for sure.I also took a look at my first swarm that i caught and they are filling up fast i notice they are drawing out queen cells and i have seen some signs of brood in them they still have half the hive to fill and the queen is laying a solid pattern but i will super them tomarrow so they will have some room and i will move some of the undrawn frames and put them close to the brood area so they will have something to do.I am still going to order some queens and then take the cells and put in nucs so i will have some spares to be on the safe side. ;)

Tom

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin