Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lemongrass oil  (Read 2695 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Lemongrass oil
« on: April 26, 2007, 11:28:52 pm »
I have read lots of posts about using lemongrass oil to attract bees. I purchased some. Question: Is it suppose to smell like lemons? If yes, I wonder what I have. Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Lemongrass oil
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 12:20:27 am »
>Is it suppose to smell like lemons?

No.  It smells like Lemon Pledge.

> If yes, I wonder what I have.

What does it smell like?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Re: Lemongrass oil
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 12:31:08 am »
Lemongrass (Botanical Name: Cymbopogon citratus) is a grass, sometimes used as an herb, medicinally and as perfume/aromatherapy.  The oil is distilled from the leaves of this plant (not from lemons) and has an aroma described as "Sweet and lemony, with an earthy, citronella-like nuance."

It's anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties may also be beneficial in the hive.

References:     

Carlini EA, Contar J de DP, Silva-Filho et al. 1986. Pharmacology of lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus Stapf). I. Effects of teas prepared from the leaves on laboratory animals. J Ethnopharmacol 1986; 17(1): 37-64.

Duke JA. 1992. Handbook of Phytochemical Constituents of GRAS Herbs and Other Economic Plants. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, pp. 216.

Melo SF, Soares SF, da Costa RF, da Silva CR, de Oliveira MB, Bezerra RJ, Caldeira-de-Araujo A, Bernardo-Filho M. 2001. Effect of the Cymbopogon citratus, Maytenus ilicifolia and Baccharis genistelloides extracts against the stannous chloride oxidative damage in Escherichia coli. Mutat Res. 2001 Sep 20; 496(1-2): 33-8.

Souza Formigoni ML, Lodder HM, Gianotti Filho O et al. 1986. Pharmacology of lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus Stapf). II. Effects of daily two month administration in male and female rats and in offspring exposed "in utero. J Ethnopharmacol 1986; 17(1): 65-74.

Vinitketkumnuen U, Puatanachokchai R, Kongtawelert P, Lertprasertsuke N, Matsushima T. 1994. Antimutagenicity of lemon grass (Cymbopogon citratus Stapf) to various known mutagens in salmonella mutation assay. Mutat Res. 1994 Nov; 341(1): 71-5.