Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: This week's hive inspection  (Read 2000 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
This week's hive inspection
« on: July 04, 2006, 07:33:48 pm »
During a weekend hive inspection i found that #4 was about to swarm due to overcrowding.  8 frame deep with med super and exculder had at least one capped queen cell & some as many as 4 on all frames in the deep, queen was being attacked and all frames in deep was full of capped brood and some uncapped, med was not even drawn out. So i put 2 frames from the deep in hive #17 which refuses to be requeened with caged queens (this is the one that keeps killing the queens and has no brood now going on 2 weeks).  Put 2 more frames in a nuc box that i made up the same day.  Put new plasticell frames in the deep, removed the excluder and put super back on.  Now none of my hives have excluders on them and i have learned alot about excluders in the past 3 weeks.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
This week's hive inspection
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 12:05:02 am »
Do it that way:

Make  a new hive onto old place. Take a box, put in it foundations, one frame of brood and the queen.  Move old hive 10 feets away. Let queen cells be in old hive.

During one week the hive draw combs in foundation hive and looses it's fever to swarm. Then put again hiveparts together. Give them space as much they occupy and exctract capped honey.

anything