Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: deep full of honey  (Read 3085 times)

Offline filmmlif

• House Bee
deep full of honey
« on: June 30, 2006, 07:17:47 pm »
well i have a deep/super full of honey...to add a second deep/super, do i just put the empty deep on top of the full deep or put the empty deep in place of the full one and put the full one on top of the empty one?
i hope that makes sense...it's my first honey!

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
deep full of honey
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 07:41:49 pm »
I belive you want to put a empty super where the full one was and then put the full one on top.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
deep full of honey
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 07:47:57 pm »
that's a really good question.  i was kind of wondering the same thing.  i was told to put the empty below the full.  the main reason for this was to make it easier to take the full off for processing when ready.  also because the bees would be faster at filling the empty if it was right above the hive body.

i'll be interested to see if the advice here is the same.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
deep full of honey
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 03:36:17 am »
Kathyp:

You were given good information, it is customary to raise the top super and put any additional supers between it and the rest of the hive.  This is especially important if you are trying for chunk or comb honey.  If using mediums or shallows more than one super can be put on at once if at the being or during a heavy honey flow.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline ian michael davison

• House Bee
deep full of honey
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 04:21:18 am »
Hi all
Putting  the empty super directly above the brood nest helps the bees draw foundation a lot faster, and even an empty drawn super will give the bees additional room to park the foraging force and help reduce swarming.

Full deeps can be a pain to lift from the top of a big hive though, but if thats the only problem I can live with that :lol:

Regards Ian

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
deep full of honey
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 12:09:08 pm »
A full deep weighs 90 pounds.  Put the empty on top.  IF there is any difference in honey produced, it will not pay your hosptial bill.  I don't believe there IS any difference.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
deep full of honey
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 12:23:08 pm »
I only use deeps for brood nest and mediums and shallows for honey supers... the old saying is to put the empty super below the full super but I have done both by putting it above and below, seems to me when a strong flow is on it doesn't matter were you put it but on small flows I seen it work better by putting the empty below the full but lifting a deep full of honey will hurt you if you don't watch it.....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
deep full of honey
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 06:59:01 pm »
This is the classic top supering or bottom superingdiscussion.  Ask 4 beekeepers and get 6 excellent answers.  I tend to bottom super, however, I agree with M. Bush.  One need's to keep things pratical.  I just tried to lift two full mediums ( to save time) and couldn't. so, now that you have my 2 opinions,...

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
deep full of honey
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 05:19:20 am »
Which is why MB and I both use medium 8 frames exclusively--a deep 10 frame is impossible to lift from a wheelchair.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
deep full of honey
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 08:11:17 pm »
I'm betting an eight frame medium isn't so easy to lift from a wheel chair either.  Have you considered a long hive at an appropriate height?  Then you could quite lifting boxes altogether.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
deep full of honey
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 06:15:18 am »
Thanks MB,

You're right they're not but it sure beats trying to lift a deep.  
The long single would have its share of problems as the chairarms, though padded, have a tendency to dig into the ribs when reaching down.  
What I've been considering is to make a box type affair that has the brood chambers one behind the other 2 deep--a double stack.  I think that would make everything more workable from my wheelchair.  I plan on building a couple of bottoms so that the entrance is on the wide side and double stack the hive for next summer.