Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The bee has an amazing sense of smell.  (Read 1306 times)

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
The bee has an amazing sense of smell.
« on: November 04, 2022, 05:05:52 pm »
Hi folks,

I?ve never really given it much thought but a bee has an amazing sense of smell. I notice it all the time but generally just dismiss it. When ever I warm honey, I give it a stir on a regular basis to mix the crystallised honey through. Every time I open a bucket of honey to perform this task, bees come buzzing around to investigate within seconds of the lid being removed. If I melt down wax in the shed, I can hear bees as soon as the wax starts to melt. I suppose this sense of smell is vital to help them to source nectar supplies for the hive.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: The bee has an amazing sense of smell.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 01:37:41 pm »
It's true, its something that's often overlooked.  I only really thought about it for the first time when my dad asked me once how bees find flowers when they are out searching for nectar.  I was like, "Well I guess it's smell and sight, but let me double check, because weirdly I'm not sure!"  :grin:  This time of year I often clean frames out in front of my garage, and if there is even a tiny bit of honey in the frame I'm cleaning, the bees will be there to investigate in minutes.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 04:07:13 pm »
They say that a bees sense of smell is 100x as good as ours. That?s pretty good really. I reckon I can smell a good pizza cooking from about 100 yards?.. With a breeze blowing in the right direction, I can also smell the nectar being ripened by the bees at quite a distance. Just imagine what our little friends can do.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 06:33:33 pm »
Im not attempting to change the subject, just adding, Humming Birds must have a great sense of smell for nectar also.
They 'love' our Hibiscus and readily find them (when in season).

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 07:14:09 pm »
It is really not much different from how quickly the neighbours drop by to chat when the Bar-BQ is light and warming up (smoking a bit).
That said, yes it is amazing how quickly bees can show up and promptly drown themselves in the nozzle stream of fresh syrup refilling a bucket.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 07:17:00 pm »
Im not attempting to change the subject, just adding, Humming Birds must have a great sense of smell for nectar also.
They 'love' our Hibiscus and readily find them (when in season).

Phillip
I think hummingbirds find flowers and feeders mostly by sight.  Most birds have a poor sense of smell. 

It is really not much different from how quickly the neighbours drop by to chat when the Bar-BQ is light and warming up (smoking a bit).
That said, yes it is amazing how quickly bees can show up and promptly drown themselves in the nozzle stream of fresh syrup refilling a bucket.
Or plunge into a batch of melting wax.  :sad:  I learned the hard way I need to have a splatter screen over the crock pot when I melt wax on the porch. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 09:06:39 pm »
"It is really not much different from how quickly the neighbours drop by to chat when the Bar-BQ is light and warming up (smoking a bit)."

Ha ha Good simile!  :wink:

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 09:17:13 pm »
"I think hummingbirds find flowers and feeders mostly by sight.  Most birds have a poor sense of smell.  "

Maybe so 🤷🏼‍♂️, The Humming Bird is a 'unique' bird. I have never studied it but I do find its amazing how they can find our few Hibiscus out here any kind of way, or either method (Smell or Sight). 😊 Especially when many 'subdivision' folks feed them making easy food access for them.  I wonder if they might prefer Hibiscus and seek it out.. lol

Les I hope you don't mind the humming bird additional talk on your topic, they both feed on nectar, both Bird and Insect.

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2022, 10:03:47 pm »
Especially when many 'subdivision' folks feed them making easy food access for them.  I wonder if they might prefer Hibiscus and seek it out.. lol
Perhaps the hibiscus has a more sugar-rich nectar than the standard 1:4 syrup people put in their feeders.  That would make the hummers prefer it, since it's more calorie-dense.  And calories are extremely important to hummingbirds, as they have the fastest metabolism of any animal.  They need to eat 1.5-3x their body weight every day, which means they are only hours from starving to death at any given time.  Hummingbirds have to enter a hibernation-like state called torper just to sleep at night without starving to death!

Les I hope you don't mind the humming bird additional talk on your topic, they both feed on nectar, both Bird and Insect.
Sorry, Les, but I can't resist a good animal fact opportunity!  :grin:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2022, 10:07:45 pm »
Especially when many 'subdivision' folks feed them making easy food access for them.  I wonder if they might prefer Hibiscus and seek it out.. lol
Perhaps the hibiscus has a more sugar-rich nectar than the standard 1:4 syrup people put in their feeders.  That would make the hummers prefer it, since it's more calorie-dense.  And calories are extremely important to hummingbirds, as they have the fastest metabolism of any animal.  They need to eat 1.5-3x their body weight every day, which means they are only hours from starving to death at any given time.  Hummingbirds have to enter a hibernation-like state called torper just to sleep at night without starving to death!

Sorry, Les, but I can resist a good animal fact opportunity!  :grin:

Thank you again Reagan for you thoroughness and finding answering my 'many' questions, along with answering other members questions as well! You are a true "asset" to Beemaster Forums!  IMHO

Phillip

anything