Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Learn from my Mistake  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Learn from my Mistake
« on: April 16, 2020, 05:23:51 pm »
I installed my package 2 weeks ago and I thought I would post what I did wrong on here so no one else makes this mistake. They came in the mail and looked fine. I put them in the hive and put the package out in front of the hive for the stragglers and I came back in the evening and there was a ton of bees still in there. I dumped them into the chicken coop so they can have a little snack but they were still moving so I quickly scooped them up and placed them in the hive. The package had no food in it so I think these were hungry bees. Anyway they're all fine now and the queen is filling the hive with brood.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Learn from my Mistake
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 06:30:50 pm »
The package had no food in it

Usually package bees have a can of syrup with tiny holes that the bees can feed while in shipment.  Did your package not have any food, no can of syrup?

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 08:13:29 pm »
Yeah should?ve been a can in there.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 08:16:46 pm »
The package had no food in it

Usually package bees have a can of syrup with tiny holes that the bees can feed while in shipment.  Did your package not have any food, no can of syrup?

Van

It didn't but I saw remnants of a fondant cube in the bottom and some bees munching on it
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn