Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Luring a swarm?  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Luring a swarm?
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 04:12:56 pm »
Depends on where they are, I guess.  If they're in your house and you kill them, the comb and honey will still be there -- for a while, then it will start dripping through the ceiling or whatever and you'll be paying carpenters to repair your house.  How does that compare to bee removal?  Makes that can of Raid look pretty expensive to me.  But everybody's entitled to make their own mistakes in this world.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2016, 04:39:59 pm »
I get called for swarms occasionally, and I go get them if they're not too far away. Both for the bees and for me, and simply because it's fun.

I have learned the hard way, though, to ask how high and how large the swarm is, and to insist that they text me a photo. Most of the time those swarms of honeybees turn out to be yellow jacket nests.

Offline Nugget Shooter

• House Bee
    • Nugget Shooter
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2016, 05:00:23 pm »
Yeah here in rural AZ most folks can not afford to pay an exterminator the 250.00 and up they charge for bee removal so they are happy to pay my gas and time to remove them. I have not been called for a swarm and have had to do cut out of the comb and remove bees. Last one took almost 4 hours to get it done and cleaned up and I feel 50.00 was more than fair and the 2nd one we did in a water box tipped me as well for saving them so much and knowing we would not kill the bees.

Here in AZ with all the media hype about "Killer" bees the removal outfits have jacked their prices way up to almost insanity for folks scared to death of any Honey bees on their property. I am happy to help for a small fee to cover my expenses.... The 3 folks that I have helped out would not have even considered spraying them and were very happy to see the bees safely removed to a new home several miles away.
Learning to manage without meddling...

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2016, 05:32:23 pm »
I don't consider a swarm call the same as a call for a cut out.  The swarm if it is hanging on a branch or in a tree may move somewhere unwanted and become a cut out but would be pretty easy to not worry too much about while they are on a tree or bush. 

I understand paying for a cut out, I just don't understand anyone paying for a swarm removal.  They will remove themselves in three days.  I know some who would pay to get swarm calls.  I agree with asking about wether it is even honey bees and how high or hard they are to reach but before I payed anyone to come and get a swarm in the bushes I would think about a can of raid if I couldn't wait untill they left.

I totaly agree that a cut out is a different animal.

I put an add on craigs list to try and get calls for a swarm but in all honesty I like the trapping better cause I can work them when it suits me.  I would love to get a nice easy low hanging swarm if I get the chance though.

I do think if someone called me about a "swarm" and I didn't want to mess with it that I would just try and give them a name of someone who did and if I couldn't think of anybody I would explain that they will probly leave pretty soon on their own.  If they said I will give you $50 bucks to come and get them now, Then ok but I wouldn't ask for it cause I might be playing on fears of someone who didn't know better.

I am probly stepping in it here but that is just my feeling being just a dumb hick in my neck of the woods. 
Anyway, don't get me wrong, I am full of good wishes for those who are actually getting out there and doing the deeds.  I wish that all goes well for you guys.
gww

Ps I reconize there are no killer bees in my area.

Offline Nugget Shooter

• House Bee
    • Nugget Shooter
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 06:42:13 pm »
Howdy GWW, and I am a rural AZ, gold prospecting, Harley riding, hick and I hope to get a swarm call one day and just shake them in and go home. For me so far just cut outs. This whole thing of beekeeping is fascinating to me and I also share your feelings about rescuing them when we get the chance. Truth is if someone told me they couldn't afford my help I would likely still go....

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 07:03:55 pm »
nugget
I have an uncle whos dream is to sell out here, live in an rv and stay in arizona and pan gold.  I don't know if he will ever do it cause he's had the same dream for 30 year.  I do know he has spent a lot of time in arizona vacationing/traveling.

I sold my harley about 15 years ago.  Got an atv and just stay home mostly now.  Retired and loving it where I am.  I haven't got a call yet for a swarm or cut out.  I am not really looking hard either but I do help those close to me sometimes and would help others maby if I knew they needed it but don't go out enough to see more then relitives which keep me busy enough.

I feel for those who have to deal with african bees, heck mine are just mutts and they can intimidate me just flying close and not leaving and every once in a while trying to fly up my shorts or getting hung in my hair.  It would really suck if 300 were doing that.

Cheers
gww

Offline Nugget Shooter

• House Bee
    • Nugget Shooter
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 07:13:02 pm »
GWW there is a link to my website in my profile, have him give a shout next time he is here. Love your state and used to go to MO often on the bike when I lived in IL many moons back. Sure is a purty place with plenty of good fishing, but you got ticks  :shocked: Just look at a bush and they are on ya in summer....

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2016, 09:40:04 pm »
nugget
I dress for success.  I don't wear a belt or socks and my shirt is usually a size or two too bigg.  I don't have too much problim with tics.  This year was one of the worst.  I think I found 4 all year.  It might be that I am old and taste bad. 

When I was young we fished and camped the rivers.  Now I just go to a lake (not mine) behind my house.

I used to ride my bike to the bars in IL with a couple of guys I worked with  back when I worked in st louis. 

I have never been to arizona.  I lived in oklahoma for a year and indiana for almost four years.  I have lived in MO almost my whole life and not just MO but out in the boonies.  I drove an hour and fifteen minutes one way to work for 26 years. 

You look like you are having fun in life and thats a blessing.  Me too.
Guess I will let this thread get back on track.
gww

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2016, 09:52:04 pm »
Why? Maybe we should start a string about getting to know each other.  We're all over the world, with a common interest in bees.  Our differences and our similarities might be interesting, so long as we respect each others' (at a loss for the proper word here-- boundaries?  Feelings? -- help, please).
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2016, 10:48:52 pm »
Dallas
I have found in life that even poeple that I dissagree with on many things usually have some trait that I admire and wish I had.  I read all the new threads that come up wether political or on gardining or what ever.  I do my best (which I am sure is not that good) to remember those good things when I am finaly drawn into some kind of discussion.  I always figure that I have been helped more then I help by a lot of strangers that I am sure I would like if given a better chance.  I don't know what my join date was (if you knew me you would know I am not much of a joiner).  But I have been taking my time trying to get to know you guys and feel inriched so far.  Even if I am about the only democrat here :wink:.
I get off topic cause I can not help myself.
Cheers
gww

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2016, 01:31:05 am »
I did 2 removals today. I did NOT turn down the 760 dollars. You folks can do what you want, but I think I provide a rare service that just anyone can't do. I get paid well for it. One had tried 5 cans of raid, so it cost them an extra hundred.

I do not charge for swarms.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2016, 08:09:34 am »
Swarms are free and hell I have even vacuumed a swarm on Saturday for no charge but if I have to light my smoker and its not for friends , family, or there is some suspicion they are "my bees" and a swarm that escaped people are offered a flat rate for up to 3 hrs then an hourly rate additional. Most people understand time is money and when they see what goes into a removal hey become fans for life and a satisfied customer is the BEST form of advertising ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2016, 09:33:42 am »
looks like this....

I would look at dismantling the saw (remove it from the tank).  If the bees are in the saw the hive is too small but it the bees are in the tank they are worth getting.  There will be holes in the tank that could make perfect entrances.  Those panels in the front might be doors or drawers that give you access to the tank to cut out the comb.  Unfortunately you might destroy the queen and a lot of comb trying to get them open.  A hole saw would make an entrance in the tank for better mounting of a trap out screen.  Then you would have to calk up the entrance they are using now.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it