Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee clubs  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Bee clubs
« on: July 23, 2015, 12:41:15 pm »
As a beekeeper with a few years experience (not a newbie, not an expert) one of the first things I did when I moved to Kentucky was to try and find a bee club or at least other beekeepers. When I first got started in Alabama, I had a mentor that got me started and worked with me on and off over the years. When I moved here, I was in a completely different environment and knew I had to learn more about keeping bees in Kentucky. I called the county extension office and was thrilled to find out the agent ran a bee club. I have been to several meetings and the knowledge gained from local keeps has been priceless.

My point of this post is two fold. First, it would be awesome if we had a section or thread here (and maybe we do but I missed it) that listed bee clubs so newbies or "new to area" people can locate them. I searched and saw many threads about clubs here but there was not a state by state kind of thing to make it easy. Anyway.. just a suggestion.

My second point is to encourage newbies to find a club, even if its a long drive to meetings. Even keeps who have been doing this a long time benefit from getting face to face time with other beekeepers in their area. I know I have.

This is an awesome site and it is a lot like a bee club. This site has helped me a lot over the years and is one of the best sources of info for whatever it is I am trying to do at the time. But its hard to beat some face to face time with your local peers, especially when starting out.

How many of you guys and guys are in bee clubs and what do you think of them?
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Bee clubs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 01:02:28 pm »
There are two beekeeper clubs in my area:  Collin  County Beekeepers and Trinity Valley Beekeepers Asociation.  I belong to the latter and have enjoyed the meetings.  But I understand the Collin County group is outstanding and would like to go to their meetings, but they meet about 40 miles from my home.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 03:35:49 pm »
NC has 100 counties, and about 90 bee clubs. I belong to 2 of them, and visit 3 others.

Yes, a local club is worth many times their membership fees, if they even require joining. Most of ours do not.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 03:49:28 pm »
Trinity Valley doesn't require membership, but like most clubs, there are expenses to be met, so I pay dues.  We sponsor two teenage students each year, provide them with equipment, training and bees and get them started as beekeepers.  That's certainly worth supporting.  I guess most clubs do the same.  I'd encourage everybody to support at least one club like this, even if you don't attend meetings.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 10:30:02 pm »
High Tech, I'm not ashamed to tell anyone that this website was my mentor, not to mention how great Bud6 was for me with the hands on.

I think each state has a listing by county (Alabama does) on a website. It'd be helpful for a state access here, but really all you go to do is google it.  Example:

http://www.k4vb.com/Regional%20Associations/Reg%20bkpng%20assoc%20map%20page%20v12.htm
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 02:19:45 pm »
It is so hard for me to find someone around here! There is a good group that I stay in contact with over facebook in Great Falls, but I google mapped their meeting and it's 3 hours and 15 minutes drive from me! Even Missoula at a little over 2 hours would be closer but they don't have regular meetings. :/  Whenever I see bee boxes I've stopped and left my # with the homeowner but none of the beekeepers have ever called me. You've inspired me again now though and I just googled bee clubs in MT and came up with a guy in Butte which is only half hour away....I've seen this truck twice, black and yellow with the dodge super bee stickers on the sides and figured he's a keeper. :) I've decided that next time I saw him driving, I would just follow him and flag him over and make him talk to me. lol Too much? lol Anyway, I just found a name and # for a beekeeper in Butte so I'll just call him. Maybe that's him in the truck? lol

I do learn so much from books and from people asking questions on forums and getting answers but I really would LOVE some physical guidance.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 03:01:33 pm »
Went too two different clubs and visited a third for several years. No longer go ... several reasons why.... :wink: Even run into iddee my second year, at the SC-NC joint meeting :shocked:
John 3:16

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 03:13:10 pm »
I belong to Virginia State Beekeepers Association and the Loudoun Beekeepers Association. Loudoun's has a sustainable  bee yard where we test many new ideas, raise our own queens and mentor many new beeks in beekeeping. It is a great club with usually a guest speaker every month and classes each spring. -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 02:07:20 am »
I am a member of the Southeast Mississippi association.  We meet in Laurel MS, usually the 4th Saturday night.  Meeting starts at 7 PM, bring a covered dish.  There are 3 clubs within 45 miles of me.  You can learn a good bit there, and make lots of friends.

New bees, if possible, should try to come to Bud's.  You could learn a great deal that week end.

Joe

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 10:34:17 pm »
ditto on Buds
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.