Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do bag feeders work  (Read 4124 times)

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
Do bag feeders work
« on: October 06, 2014, 08:04:17 pm »
better than boardmans? It doesnt matter that they all have feed they all still want to be hogs, and robbing attempts/robbing is getting stressful. I know, I know, I have read boardman feeders induce robbing, have only ever used them in the spring, and didnt have a problem. I need to get these hive weights right. Is a ziploc in a empty super on top of the bars a viable option? Will it slow the thievery? Im tired of looking at bees fighting thru wire, and finding the casualties on the ground when I get home from work. Any advice would be greatly welcomed. Thanks. G  :chop:
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Do bag feeders work
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 08:48:35 pm »
If you be trusted to fill a gallon zip lock bag 2/3 full and seal it so it will not pop open without fail when you gently lay it on top bars, it is hard to beat a baggie on the top bars.   the only other thing that you have to do without fail is poke two holes in the bubble on top so the bees can get to the syrup.  The heat of the cluster keeps the baggie warm.  Of course you put a shallow super or a feeder rim, mine are 3 " deep and didn't slop it all over outside so you will have no robbing.  This time of the year a feeding stimulant is not necessary and can just attract robbers.  If you reduce the entrance to a couple bees wide, even a small colony can defend their castle.  I use them when I am out of miller feeders and have more hives to feed.  Hard to beat them except for amount they hold.  Three quarts is absolutely tops and one needs to be super careful with that large an amount. 

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 08:58:11 pm »
Thanks vance, I will start with 2 qts, you just set it right on top of the bars or do you put something underneath it, like cardboard or luan or something? G:chop:

Offline ScituateMA

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 09:46:19 pm »
Ziplock bags are expensive. What I use is the bags ypu can find when you go fruit section of grocery stores. Just put them gently on top bards, you do not need to put anything underneath. 

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 08:15:20 am »
I will check that out, I only have 7 hives so I will probably go with the ziplocks for the first try. I plan on doing it tonight weather permitting, and closing down the entrances to a bee and a half width. I will let you know how it goes. G  :chop:

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 08:36:54 am »
They certainly work and don't drown bees. I have them on my splits as I write in a 3" "super".

Cheers
Rob
Cheers
Rob.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 11:24:20 pm »
Thanks Rob. Didnt get em on today for the weather, gave em a quart after dark to give em something for the night hours. Will pull it before light and hopefully get the bags and boxes on tomorrow. G  :chop:

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 02:59:51 am »
Just slowly lay them on the top bars to give the bees a chance to move out of the way.  Make sure the bag is fully supported by the topbars and you will be fine.  Holes thru top only! 

Offline pgayle

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 10:19:25 pm »
I can get several uses from one bag.  I put two 1/2 or 3/4 inch slits near the top of the bag (maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the way down).  When the bag needs refilling, I put some blue painter's tape over the slits, and put the baggies in a plastic coffee can, and refill them just before going to the bee yard.  (You don't want the syrup above the edge of the coffee can for transporting.)

After you get the baggie laid down on the top bars, just remove the tape.   

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 10:47:11 pm »
I wondered about re-use, but I only have 7 hives so I just used new ones this time, I have cycled thru 4-5 rounds and my hives are heavy and being capped as we speak. I have been very pleased with this approach to feeding. Just in time, the temps are dropping. Thanks all for advice. G

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 12:12:15 pm »
Do you have extra supers? If you do put the jars from the boardman over the inner cover hole and put a super over it, and the tele cover over that.  I have also seen the jars placed on sticks right on top of the top bars with a super over it. The bees wont build comb this time of year, at least up here.
   Auto parts stores that sell paint can sell you quart and gallon paint cans. Holes poked in the lids of those also work exceptionally well.  You Cover them with a super to keep the sun from heating the jar.
   I have used baggie feeders, and they DO work, but I have also had a PILE of bees climbing on the baggies causing them to dribble excessively..  syrup leaking out the front of the hive (your hive is tilted forward slightly right?) will still cause robbing...  so use caution no matter what method you choose!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 02:53:07 pm »
Thanks Old Mech. I plan on feeding earlier next year if I need to, kinda got caught off gaurd this year with no fall flow. I will keep that in mind for the future. I just took some scrap lumber and made 3 inch shims. Havent had a problem with leakage. G :chop:

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 04:12:22 pm »
Glad to hear it! Hope you get that winter weight on post haste!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 06:26:52 pm »
I use 3 inch spacers and zip lock bags with sugar syrup.
I usually start feeding with baggie feeders in mid Febuary other than that I use candy boards during the winter.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Re:
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 06:29:49 am »
Have you tried dry sugar? The nice thing about dry sugar is not adding the moisture to the hive.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 12:49:47 pm »
In mid December here I add candy boards to my hives for the winter.
In mid February I start feeding 1-1 sugar syrup using zip lock baggies and feed protein.
I make spacers that are 2 3/4 inches tall for the baggies.
I've never had one leak.
They line up on the cuts in the baggie like a bunch of hogs at feed time.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

anything