Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: nosema spore count?  (Read 1495 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
nosema spore count?
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:05:17 pm »
I sent 2 dead-outs to the usda last feb. finally heard back. no trachea mites, low varrora count, & 4 million nosema spores per bee. the usda guy had no answer & I can't find anything online. how many spores per bee is too many????

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: nosema spore count?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:28:17 pm »
Maybe this will help:
"For Nosema apis, the treatment threshold was considered to be a mean spore count of 1M per bee.  On the other hand, there is considerable debate as to what constitutes a worrisome spore count for Nosema ceranae.  At the time of this writing (9/16/2011) a few million spores (up to about 25 in a field of view) would be considered by many to be “normal” for field bees for much of the season, perhaps spiking to several million (100 or more spores per field of view) during spring when there are heavy pollen flows, but then dropping to near zero during summer.  I cannot make recommendations, but post the latest information at ScientificBeekeeping.com."
Here is the link:
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-13-simple-microscopy-of-nosema/
This may also be helpful:
http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/files/147621.pdf

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 11:26:01 pm »
I asked the contact at the usda & was told their tests don't say which type of nosema spores were present which I thought was odd. is not nosema ceranae the most common form of nosema these days? also this was a winter deadout that occurred in jan. or feb. so that's when the count should be calculated. thanks for the links.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:57:53 pm by rober »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 07:49:29 am »
Nosema apis is virtually extinct.  It's been replaced by ceranae.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 07:47:09 pm »
I just got an interesting reply from the usda. the rep says that when treating nosema ceranae with fumigillin B that spore counts will drop but often there is a rebound effect 2-3 weeks later & the spore count can double or triple what it originally was. I do not believe i'll be treating for nosema any time soon unless I find spore counts way over the limits ( if I can ever find out what constitutes an excessive spore count).

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 07:58:43 am »
Yes, the latest research shows that Fumigillan makes Nosema ceranae worse... probably because it kills off the beneficial bacteria that protects the bees from Nosema...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything