Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Crops and Bees  (Read 1032 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Crops and Bees
« on: May 24, 2014, 06:27:23 am »
I may be opening a big can of worms on this one. I'm becoming concerned about crops and bees. I have zero experience to draw on. Last June when I first got my bees the fields around here were not planted. We are talking about 3 or 4 hundred acres within a mile or so from my house. Last year they weren't planted due to my uncle dying of cancer. The closest field is probably a quarter of a mile. This year there will be cotton, corn, and soybeans planted. Other than the spraying is the plants them selves being genetically modified. Some say, particular cotton, is great for the bees. Others say these are a slow death to the hives. What say u?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Crops and Bees
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 08:51:16 am »
if it's got neonics the only spraying would need to be herbicides.  if it doesn't there will be pesticide spraying that could cause a little die off depending on how it's applied.  i wouldn't worry too much about it.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Crops and Bees
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 10:51:45 pm »
Thanks Rob. I've recently had two older bee keepers tell me two different recommendations. One said stay away and another said he loved it.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.