Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can someone identify this back hair like stuff  (Read 4661 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Can someone identify this back hair like stuff
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 04:29:48 pm »
You didn't look through the hive to see if more is still there?

Offline ChrisT

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 05:54:17 pm »
I didnt check every single frame, as I stated in my orginal first post, becuase i was just doing a general inspection.
When i got done, i decided to add oil to the pan becuase I saw one hive beetle during that run thru.
When i went to fill the pan with some oil, I saw that stuff. So i came in and posted the pic.
After that I went back outside and took all five levels off to see if something was on the screeened bottom board but didnt see anything. Nor did I see any evidence of any of that black stuff while doing all this. By that time it was getting late. So I thought i would let them settle down after those 2 episodes and check today (sunday) but now its raining. I did check my oil pan today (which now has oil in i) and I didnt see any of those long black fibers today in the oil.

I know going through and checking every single frame will let me know if its a fluke or not. Was just wondering if anyone had seen it before. Ill try and tear the whole thing apart and check every side of every frame, wednesday maybe, its suposed to be cold here for few days.

Chris

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 09:00:56 pm »
it's a lot smaller than i thought it was. 

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 09:23:05 pm »
Pick some up with tweezers and put a match to it. Does it flare up? Does it smolder? Does it smell like burning plastic or burning hair? That would give you a lot of information to work with (synthetic or organic).

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 10:37:37 pm »
how odd.  the pieces are the same length and width, so it's not random bits that have come off the smoker or material. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 04:33:18 pm »
O.K., I'm certainly stumped.  That is weird.  Could it have BLOWN in?  If it is that light and all...
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 06:10:06 pm »
I don't think you need to remove all frames from the boxes
But remove each box and look carefully down between the frames.If anything looks suspicious,pull the frames there.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 09:22:15 am »
beard trimings human hair

that is what that is

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 10:24:10 pm »
Something placed on the bottom board to make folks ask a lot of questions and make a lot of guesses :evil: :-X :)
John 3:16

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 11:44:39 pm »
Something placed on the bottom board to make folks ask a lot of questions and make a lot of guesses :evil: :-X :)
You never know!!! :-D :-D

Offline ChrisT

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 01:05:40 am »
jayj200: Its very brittle so i dont think its hair. its just very thin like hair and breaks at the slightest touch

I can guarantee that I didnt place stuff in an oil pan to waste everyone's time (nor mine)

I think the best guess is some type of mold which is why i was afraid to burn it.

I will put this thread to bed. Thanks for the help everyone.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 01:22:45 am »
jayj200: Its very brittle so i dont think its hair. its just very thin like hair and breaks at the slightest touch

I can guarantee that I didnt place stuff in an oil pan to waste everyone's time (nor mine)

I think the best guess is some type of mold which is why i was afraid to burn it.

I will put this thread to bed. Thanks for the help everyone.

Jk man --- don't think you did  :th_thumbsupup: Mold or fungus would be my best guess and it has not been a waste of time. Gives something new for folks to discuss and ponder.
John 3:16

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2014, 06:55:15 am »
I got to thinking about this again. I'm with 10framer, it is very similar to Spanish moss. Does any grow in your area? It could have blown in.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2014, 07:54:31 am »
Chris,
Sorry if you thought we didn't take it serious, we actually did or wouldn't have responded to start with. Just a little lighthearted fun,no intentions otherwise.