Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Should I stop feeding now?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
Should I stop feeding now?
« on: November 10, 2014, 06:16:05 pm »
My guess is yes. But I need someone to tell me. I'm in central ontario - we've had a couple of hard frosts, with the temperature hovering around 1or 2 at night (Celsius) and maybe up to 8 or 10 during the day. Just today I put the winter wrap on my hive, and I have the entrance reducer on. I keep an empty super on top of the inner cover over my two brood boxes, with the outer cover on top of that. I feed inside that box. They're still taking syrup and, on a nice day, they fly around a bit. Should I just stop feeding them altogether now? I think they probably have plenty of stores down below but, what can I say? I'm a worry wart. I don't want them to go hungry.

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
Re: Should I stop feeding now?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 07:08:13 pm »
 I quit feeding, you can too.

Not much to more you can do but wait till it warms up enough to check on them and then, act accordingly.

Offline troyin17331

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 10:06:19 pm »
it would depend on if you think they have enough or not. if you think they still need and they are still taking it i would keep feeding

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 12:02:05 am »
remember water vapor in a hive is not good maybe candy board or sugar

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 12:16:33 am »
remember water vapor in a hive is not good maybe candy board or sugar

I agree. Check out MountainCamp method. I'll make it easy:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?action=search2
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 12:58:00 pm »
>My guess is yes. But I need someone to tell me.

OK.  I'll tell you.  It way to late to be feeding.

>I'm in central ontario - we've had a couple of hard frosts, with the temperature hovering around 1or 2 at night (Celsius) and maybe up to 8 or 10 during the day.

If they had enough stores I would not feed them at all.  If they did not, I would have fed in September.  Not October.  Not Novemeber.   Too much humidity.

>Just today I put the winter wrap on my hive, and I have the entrance reducer on. I keep an empty super on top of the inner cover over my two brood boxes, with the outer cover on top of that. I feed inside that box. They're still taking syrup and, on a nice day, they fly around a bit. Should I just stop feeding them altogether now? I think they probably have plenty of stores down below but, what can I say? I'm a worry wart. I don't want them to go hungry.

Heft the back of the hives.  If they are heavy leave them alone.  If they are not, put some dry sugar on...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 05:51:45 pm »
Thanks all. I'll let them finish up this last jar of syrup and then lock em up for winter. The really obnoxious cold has just set in and I expect we're done with anything decent.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 12:41:26 pm »
I have been feeding 2-1 sugar syrup here in Central Arkansas in 5 gallon bucket type feeders.
It has turn cold the last couple of days but the bees are still taking feed when the temperature gets in the mid 40's F.
It is suppose to warm back up by the end of next week into the 50's F during the days.
I will put candy boards on all my Hives in mid December and not feed again until mid Feburary or when the Temps hit the low 50's.
I've had very good luck doing this.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)