Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moved my hive tonight  (Read 1349 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Moved my hive tonight
« on: July 12, 2013, 11:37:27 pm »
I moved my hive tonight so it will get more sunlight during the day. I put a feeder in the entrance and stuffed a rag to keep them in for a while. I'm doing this (rag) for reorienting and the feeder as a pacifier. It's about 25-30 yards from the previous location. Moved it straight forward with the entrance facing the same direction as before (east).

How long should I leave the rag in there/keep them inside? I put some beetle barns on top between the queen excluder and the inner cover. When I opened the top (didn't pull any frames) I saw probably 15 or 20 SHbeeltes. I squashed most of them. I got my bottom beetle trap but it was for a 10 frame instead of an 8 frame. The company was supposed to let me know what they were going to do.., but didn't. Same company that I bought all my start up equipment from. Don't think nobody gives a __ about their customers any more. I called another company and I will have one that fits in a couple of days.

I put the ends of Q-Tips soaked in Apple Cider Vinegar in each of the barns and for bait I had boric acid and Crisco grease mixed together. This new site won't get shade until around 4:30pm.

Sorta proud of the stand I built for the supers. I had 4x4s cut 16" for the legs and (2) 2x6s cut 24" and two cut 17 inches. I have the four legs sitting in tinfoil baking pans about 6x8 inches. Inside the pans I have vegetable oil.(should keep the ants out) These are sitting on solid cement 4" thick cinder blocks.

I got this 3 pound package on 8 June. Like I said I didn't take the frames out (it was killing me!) and look at them but looking down from the top they was a heap of bees! yes they came up in force as well to meet me. All frames in the top (I have only two deeps for brood - no supers) looked to be well drawn out. I can see some into the bottom deep by looking through the SBB. They seem to be working from one side toward the other. The first three frames are very occupied the other (wax coated plastic) frames may have 8 or 10 bees on each side.

Should I have done an inspection since I saw the beetles? Any suggestion about the beetles, the site, or when I should remove the rag, it's gonna be hot once the sun burns through. I think we still have rain for the next week. thanks all, I really enjoy reading the different approaches and suggestion each of you have.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Moved my hive tonight
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:52:23 am »
I have never used the stuffed rag approach to move. Stuffed rags usually two days from what I read could be a problem in the Southern heat. I would get the rags out use the branch method go to MB's site and read it

On a hive of two deeps I would not be alarmed seeing 15 beetles corralled in the top pf the hive. I see you decided to go with the roach poison instead of the oil in the traps.
John 3:16

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 07:23:46 am »
sc-bee, I'm using it by default. I am waiting on my beetle trap to come from the other folks. I mixed the boric acid with the Crisco to keep it from dusting the frame below it.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:45:33 am »
 Not judging you on the boric, I will admit I tried to use it once in some nucs here at my house. It did not work for me. The small between frame bettle traps worked better but did not save the nucs. However you see folks claim to be organic, and their beekeeping natural or such and use essential oils and FGMO etc and then put boric in their hives and call it soft treatment. I am just not so sure. If the time came and I was going to loose all my hives I am not sure what I may or may not do. I would certainly have to re-evaluate a few things.

IMO 15-20 beetles corralled up in the top in a two deep hive is not a huge concern. I do understand you are trying to be pro-active. I see that many beetles in most of my hives on every inspection. Of course I am not trying to be coy as the beetles may take them over any day.

As far an an inspection- you got the bees to enjoy and learn. An inspection for a beginner every week is not out of reason IMO, till you get your feet on the ground. Folks that use the old cut cell method and there are plenty out there have to do an inspection at least every 10 days.

Every 1.5 to 2 weeks would certainly be fine.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 01:52:45 pm »
In another post you mention your package is 5 wks old. IMO opinion you are cheating yourself of the joy of seeong the bees start from scratch by not looking on week interval. It will set them back a little but worth the learning experience for a newbee. That is why you got them right :-D

Good Luck :cheer:

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 06:21:36 pm »
When I move mine, I put a cloth across the entrance and move them at night. The following night, after dark, I remove the cloth. I found this works even when I moved them only 40 feet. Longest move, 16 miles. -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.