Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spring Super Timing  (Read 1419 times)

Offline keito

• New Bee
Spring Super Timing
« on: March 17, 2013, 05:53:31 am »
After inspecting my hives for the first time this year I found that they have survived the Winter. The number of bees was truly amazing to me. This is my second year and I was wondering if I should just go ahead and add the supers or am I supposed to wait awhile. Anything I should be looking for?
Thanks for the help!!

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
Re: Spring Super Timing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 07:06:27 am »
Im a good bit further south of you and I added supers to most of my hives about two weeks ago. We are in a good flow right now with blackberry clovers and willow blooming.  If your hive has a strong population and starting to bring in nectar than it is time for a super.
Who Dat!!!

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 08:58:21 am »
Anything I should be looking for?

It depends, how the colony grows and how it needs new room.

It it has too much room, it is difficult to defend the hive.

Language barrier NOT included

Moots

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 09:56:01 am »
It depends, how the colony grows and how it needs new room.

It it has too much room, it is difficult to defend the hive.

Finski,
I realize there are many potential problems with adding supers too quickly and reasons one wants to avoid doing so.  However, I'm not sure I understand how adding a Super makes the hive more difficult to defend. I thought that would be something determined exclusively, or should I say, mostly by the size of your hive entrance. 

What am I missing?  :?

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:51:59 am »
How full are the frames with honey and brood and how much room does the bees have.  Are they in 8 or 10 frame boxes, single or double, deep or mediums.  If they are anywhere close to to being full, then add a super. 

Joe

Offline Dimmsdale

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:22:44 pm »
If there aren't enough bees to effectively cover the majority of the comb you provide, SHB can sometimes take hold?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 10:27:29 pm »
The easy answer? When you start to see white wax.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything