Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: re-queening api-error?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline stella

• House Bee
re-queening api-error?
« on: June 12, 2012, 04:45:41 pm »
Hello all.
Im back again with the continuing hive drama. *sigh*
I have a second year hive, went queen-less for about a month.

I bought a new queen and installed her in the hive last Friday. There was no cork so I put a piece of tape over the candy of her queen cage. Suspended her in the hive planning on removing the tape today so they could release her thru the candy. She is out! They got to her first, eating thru the tape and the candy (sneaky little buggers). Thwarting my thoughtfully planned execution of events. Nobody follows the rules around here.

I removed the empty queen cage and closed the hive back up. I did not see the queen. I did not look for her.

Question: Should I have looked for the queen on the frames or should I give it 2 weeks undisturbed even tho I didnt see her.
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: re-queening api-error?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:21:19 pm »
I would wait a week and check for her and some laying.  Back last month I had a hive that was queenless, bought one local, installed her that night 5 days later foung her and she had been laying.  Good luck with your bees.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: re-queening api-error?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 06:01:44 pm »
One week. Check for eggs this Friday.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*