Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: leaf cutter bee's  (Read 1484 times)

Offline bens

• New Bee
leaf cutter bee's
« on: July 08, 2012, 11:13:43 pm »
I found a leaf cutter bee making a nest in the space between my landscaping blocks.  Does anyone know how to attract these bees?  or how to get them to nest in a drilled hole in wood?   

The little guy comes in with the lower side of his abdomen covered with pollen, and he is usually carrying a chunk of a leaf that is bigger than he is. 

I will try and get a video or picture of the little bugger tomorrow if anyone is interested. 

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Re: leaf cutter bee's
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 06:24:52 am »
I'd be interested if you get the time. Thanks.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:33:05 pm »
Leaf cutters all over my flower gardens.  Ligularia and a climbing rose seem to be the nest leaf of choice.  They are really getting cut up.  Next year I will be ready with nesting material in place end of June. 

Offline DLMKA

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:24:59 am »
I've been interested in providing a nesting area for leaf cutter bees or mason bees since I can't keep honeybees in the yard without the neighbor going apesh!t.  Would love to see some pics and get some more information.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 02:47:26 pm »
There are a couple of different size leaf cutters.  If you drill a block with a variety of hole sizes from say 1/4" to 3/16" and put it near them you will probably get some to make nests.  Then note the size of the holes they use and drill more that size in that block or another block.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin