Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pitfalls of putting a super on too early??  (Read 1932 times)

Offline kenglert

• New Bee
Pitfalls of putting a super on too early??
« on: May 21, 2011, 08:52:45 am »
Hey guys.  I installed my packaged bees in the beginning of April (8 frames plus a feeder that took up 2 frames).  I did my first check and the queen was released.  On my second check she had started a good brood nest.  My 3rd check revealed 5 of the 8 frames had brood.  I knew I wouldn't be able to get back to check on the hive for a few weeks so I put a super on (10 frames).  When I checked recently, the last few frames in the hive body still did not have any brood and the other frames did not have any capped brood while there was a great brood nest started in the super.  Did I add the super prematurely or did the queen just go up because there was more room up there?  Do you think she'll head back down to keep laying??
Thanks
Kurt

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Pitfalls of putting a super on too early??
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 09:56:39 am »
In this case it is better put a new box under brood. So heat does not escape up.
Heat is a reason why brood is up now.

But your hive is ok however.

I am here just now in situation that i enlarge my hives from one bow to two box.
i put first enlargening down.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline applebwoi

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 10:24:06 am »
Sounds as if your colony is starting off well and growing normally.  Don't worry about the queen going up.  If there is a flow on, you could probably take out the feeder without any problems and it would open up the first box a bit but in my experience with all mediums, the queen will move up and down in the lower three - four boxes, sometimes even up into the fifth box if you don't use an excluder, but you can always move those frames.  Again, all is well and sounds like your hive is thriving.

Offline kenglert

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 10:35:23 am »
Thanks for the great info!!  Do you think I should move the top box to the bottom??  I keep feeding them because everytime I check it's empty.  Will they give preferential treatment to the feeder because it's right there rather than leaving the hive to search for nutrition??
Thanks
Kurt

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 12:16:36 pm »
No, especially if there is a flow on the girls will go for the natural, good stuff, rather than the syrup.
linda d

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 04:53:40 pm »
Were are you located besides lost?   Pollen collection could be down and the honey flow slowing.

Offline kenglert

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 09:34:14 am »
I'm in Kansas City.  It's been kind of cool and rainy the past few weeks.  I'm hoping that was the last time I had to fill the feeder.
Kurt