Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Associations  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
Bee Associations
« on: May 27, 2011, 05:51:55 pm »
I have a question I looked down the rolls of Mississippi's bee association it is full to the brim with names how accurate are those rolls. I mean if there is that many beekeepers in my state why haven't I know more know I know a few that at one time did it but not anymore. And if there is that many why am I the only one that advertises for swarms. Wouldn't every beekeeper want all the swarms he can get and I am not on the list I never paid my dues didn't see the real advantage to it. I mean its cheap but I am not going to the meeting anyway so why join.

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
Re: Bee Associations
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 06:47:18 pm »
I can't speak to how accurate the membership roster is that you are looking at, but from what I've seen here at home, there are a lot more beekeepers than I thought there were.  Many are just hobbiests who go to a club to take a class, then keep bees quietly at home.  That's it for them.

For the rest of us that continue to go to club meetings, it's not only a great way to network (help someone if they are short on resources, or have someone to ask for help when you are short on resources), but our club also brings in speakers to keep us up-to-date on current events.

And, it's kind of nice to have someone to talk bee-talk, 'cause believe me, your non-beekeeping friends get tired of hearing about it reeeeeeaaaaaaal quick.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Bee Associations
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 07:23:55 pm »
Same here, good place for the new beeks to come and learn, find a mentor and ask the basic questions. We have folks in ours that range from not even having bees to a full time beek. We also bring in speakers and put on work shops. With a $10 per year dues your not getting hurt and most times you will get that back in some of the donated door prizes at the Christmas party. Ours also puts up a big display at the county fair also.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

anything