Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: painting the hive  (Read 2599 times)

Offline stella

• House Bee
painting the hive
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:54:36 pm »
From what I read, it doesnt have to be white? So can I assume it is OK to paint my hive grey? Its the only external house paint I have on hand.
You know, frugality rules at this house.
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: painting the hive
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:13:36 am »
Any color will do as far as I know. People even paint pretty pictures on their hives.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:50:51 am »
I also vote for any color as long as you’re not located in the deep south in full sun.

I haven’t seen too many bees living in white trees.  Then again, the birch tree borer does a pretty good job on the Birches around here.

In Minnesota, I would go with any color that caught my fancy.

Offline Bee Whisper82

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:41:44 am »
I use any paint that is around the house.  I even use Internal paint as well but I usually have to paint with it every year.  Now that one is tricky, trying to paint the hive with the bees in them.  Lol

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:51:32 am »
I have seen bees living in a roof under black asphalt shingles in west central Missouri that lived thru a summer where temps exceeded 110 degrees in August.  They litterally had there comb up against the sheething.  I wouldn't worry about the color of the paint even in the deep south.  Bees are pretty good about regulating the inside temps of their home. 

I used whatever the cheap 5 gallon pails of paint from Habitat for Humanity.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 07:28:06 am »
Go to your local home improvement store and look at their mistints.  You can get some really good paint for a good price.  That's how I paint mine.

Offline beewitch

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 12:36:26 pm »
My hives are grey and I've "painted pretty pictures" on mine with the "oops" mistints from Lowe's.  Bee's don't care but I like it.

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 04:19:41 pm »
Actually I read that when flying, bees see the designs painted on a hive better than the different color, so that the designs could matter more than the color.  A simple design is supposed to help them recognize their hive.

But it's from that book "The Buzz About Bees" and I'm still trying to decide how much of his science I believe and how much is hoohaa.  Anybody else read Jurgen Tautz?

love,
ziffa

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 04:39:41 pm »
My poly hives are a green grey color , it is quite discreet when i place my hives by the tree line.

It is a paint that is water based so i don't need to use paint thinners. I by a tin when it is on sale.

If you want a tip how to get free paint try going to your local recycling center , a college pick up allot of left over paint , and painted his hives in more colors than Joseph's technicolor cape  :shock:

Beauty is truly in the eyes of the bee holder . :-X

One thing is for sure no one will want or bee able to take them unnoticed  :-D

mvh edward  :-P

Offline Michael Bach

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 07:14:44 pm »
My hives are barn red right now.

I am going to change my color every year on new equipment so I can tell what year I started using them.

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 10:09:21 pm »
Thank you all so very much.
I like the decorated hive idea...I think I will personalize it just for fun. Ive got a bad case of spring fever and that just may do the trick...painting the hive in the laundry room sounds better than shoveling snow. Or doing laundry for that matter.
And ,you never know, I might be like Michael and have more hives to identify in the future.
This beekeeping hobby has got me so excited!
Im glad you are all here for reference.

“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 07:04:07 am »
just for fun

:bee: :bee: :bee: Thats what beekeeping is all about.  :-D :bee: :bee:

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 10:28:06 am »
Hi Stella, we are "almost" close to each other. :-D  Spring fever in spades, my basement is full of stuff I have built the last two months.  I'm a new beek too, 1st year (none of my hives made it through Winter, I can PROBABLY tell you what NOT to do.)  I picked up some "Extreme Adhesion" Dutch Boy white exterior paint for $5 at Walmart (reg $30) on a closeout just a couple of weeks ago.  So definately check out the clearance and mis-tint sections in stores.
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

anything