Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: macho solar wax melter  (Read 3684 times)

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
macho solar wax melter
« on: December 29, 2010, 12:23:07 pm »
I have a double glass fronted pop cooler. I am going to use for a wax melter. What color should I paint the inside or does it need to be done. It is aluminum now. Thanks Harold

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: macho solar wax melter
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 11:17:44 pm »
Paint it black (just like the song).   When you say double glass, are you talking about double pane or 2 doors?

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 06:45:46 pm »
It has two doors and I believe it has a double pane too. I hope I can keep moisture out of the glass. That might be a problem. Thanks Harold

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 08:18:12 pm »
Double pane may cut out some of the greenhouse effect.

Offline fuzzybeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:42:23 pm »
It ought to work great. 

I took an old refridgerator that no longer workes and laid it on its back.  Then I took a full sized exterior (aluminum frame) single-pane door and laid it on top.  The door is actually bigger than the fridge.  I took strips of old carpet and laid it along the edges of the fridge so that the air could not get out from under the glass.

On a good sunny Texas summer day, the tempreture in the "fridge" gets to 210 degrees as measured by a digital thermometer.

I take a round $15. drain pan that is designed to go under a hot water heater for when it leaks.  Put the pan on a couple of emply boxes (or other support) in the fridge.  Put whatever you want to catch the wax in under the spout.

In my spare time (some time in 2020) I plan on putting hinges on the door and a plywood cover to protect the glass in case of a storm.  I plan on trying to mount mirrors on the plywood cover so that more sunlight would reflect into the box and increase the heat (not that you would need to, at 210 degrees.)

Fuzzybeekeeper

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 10:51:28 pm »
A trick to tell how many panes you have, some commercial freezers actually have 3, take a match or liter hold next to glass and count the flames you see !   :shock:

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 11:04:08 pm »
Something you may want to check into is;

Drilling a hole in between glass panes, been reports that one or both panes may/will shatter if moisture is between panes and it turns into steam pressure. I've never seen this, but have seen reports of it.

They say that the comparison between single and double pane is about 6-7 degrees in heat retension.  :?

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 10:12:09 pm »
Ok, this all depends on how hot you want things to get in the melter.  I find if you just use the plate glass, on an enclosed space, you will get around 200° F (Yeah I know, I do all the tech support for the family, through email.  90° C).  That would be all you would want.  The wax becomes liquid at those temperatures and heating it much more will cause it to degrade in color and quality.

To get the thing REALLY going, you would want to face the inside surfaces with aluminum foil, paint it all black inside with high temperature paint, add a plate of iron to set things on and absorb the heat, reflector panels, and double pane of TEMPERED glass.  You can use strips of 1/8 in (3 mm) paper board, like the stuff you get when you buy a shirt, to make a frame to hold the plates of glass apart.

I must emphasize the Tempered glass part, I built one of these about 7 years ago to cook food, and used quarter inch (6mm) glass.  I had the whole thing on a garden cart, with a giant funnel made with foil covering corrugated paper (Cardboard box) as the reflectors.  Without any mass inside the oven thermometer read 350° F, and I leaned over the thing to take a photo, leaned back, and the glass went *GINK*!

It cracked perpendicular to the face of the plate.  In a big wavy line from one side to the other.  The big problem with working with this as an oven, any pot of any appreciable size holding water would not get hotter than 180° F (80° C).  Add the clouds shading and passing, the vegetables I put in there just went though the process they do in your gut.  Smelled just like Horse Manure.

So Lesson is:
  • Works best in full sun like out in the field, not the woods.
  • Works better on cloudless days.
  • Works better for heating food already cooked.
  • Does an excellent job for heating materials to lower "high" temperatures.

Oh, and just melting wax I don't see any problem with using regular glass.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.