Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: dead bees  (Read 2279 times)

Offline rgy

• House Bee
dead bees
« on: November 29, 2010, 12:23:05 pm »
went out to the hives yesterday and there was a pile of dead bees on the porch and the entrance was almost blocked on the inside with dead bees.  I put a stick inside the hole to try and make sure they could exit.  I could hear a good hum inside the hive but why so many dead bees.  I think they hive was very healthy going into winter.  getting cold here in lower michigan.  freezing at night and 40's during the day.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: dead bees
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:42:59 pm »
What do you think killed them?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 10:03:39 pm »
It sounds like robbing but I would consider that remote with your temps. How are they on stores?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 08:19:29 am »
at the front side of the winter the oldest bees in the cluster are dying fairly quickly and dropping to the bottom board.  come the first warm day (say +50 degrees) the undertaker bees clear out the dead.  as time rolls on the number of dead bees at the front door should decline somewhat.

I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:34:37 am »
tecumseh, I hope you are correct and the dying off stops.  I think they had plenty of stores.  i took off the super about a month ago and it had 6 frames full but the two brood boxes were full of bees and honey.  Seemed to be a very healthy hive with a lot of bees so maybe it's just the old ones kicking off and there was a lot of old ones?

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 12:52:39 pm »
I freaked out last winter when I saw how many bees were dying in the hive. Normally you don't see them so you don't realize just how many die each week. It will stabilize and the winter bees will be fine.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 04:40:32 pm »
Not normal but

in many cases the hive draw all last brood off before wintering.
I have met too that the last brood  are mite eaten and wingless and they drag quite a heap on  entrance.

Normally bees come out to die.

Ihave had cases too that food is finish and the cluster has partly collapsed on entrance and outside.
Language barrier NOT included