Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new in s.florida, getting started  (Read 1274 times)

Offline susa

• Brood
new in s.florida, getting started
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:45:53 pm »
was about to place a web order (searched for bee farming supplies via bing.com) but wanted to ask here first before I do.

what's the best way to get started?

the starter kits seem to contain everything, video, supplies, even where to purchase queen.

what do you suggest?

ps/have lots of fruit trees and have some wild bees but would like to increase yields

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Re: new in s.florida, getting started
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 09:07:59 pm »
I like the starter kits, because buying everything separately comes to a good bit more. I'm sure there's better ways to save a few bucks, and I'm sure others may disagree with me, but I think some local bee-keepers would feel more inclined to help with advice etc. if you came prepared. I started my search for bees online, I was prepared to drive to central Fl for some bees until I saw someone about 50 miles away - he told me he didn't sell nucs or packages - but gave me a number to a big operation that was only about 16 miles up the road - turned out to be really nice folks too.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline mfchele

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 09:44:41 pm »
I got the starter kit. Very happy with it. I read later that it's a good idea to get two hives to start so you can compare the two and know if one is not producing as well. I wished I had since I was a bit worried the first two weeks because I couldn't find the queen and I had no way to know if things were moving as they should be. But now I have eggs and larvae in all stages and they seem to be doing great. Also, a couple days ago I eyeballed the queen for the first time after setting her free. Very Happy to see her! I'd say the starter kits are the way to go for beginners. I did order an extra veil so I could have a helper if needed.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:36:29 am »
Hello and Welcome!

Best way to get started? Depends on you. Some folks like to just jump in, others like plenty of preparation first. Regardless, I encourage you to read, read, read. Check out the tutorials on the main Beemaster page. Check your local library for books & videos on beekeeping. Use the 'search' function here on the forum to read up on topics you want to know more about.

I also recommend getting involved in a local beekeeping club. Clubs often offer begining beekeeping classes, and are great places to find mentors and get connected with nearby beekeepers. Looks like there are quite a few Florida clubs:
http://apisenterprises.com/fsba/fsbalocal.htm

Lastly, update your profile with your location. Much of beekeeping is location-specific, so when you post questions we will be better able to answer if we know where you are.

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:56:11 pm »
  a local bee club is a great place to start. Starter kits are a good idea to save some money by buying basic equipment as a bundle but make sure it's set up for your region, for example in S Florida you will  more than likely want screened or slated bottom boards.
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

anything