Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splits  (Read 1160 times)

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
Splits
« on: April 28, 2010, 06:50:07 pm »
I split my hive on Monday, one box with the queen and 4-5 drawn frames with honey and pollen, and the other with lots of eggs larvae and brood. Based on the information in ABC-XYZ and a link from MB I am going to check for queen cells in ten days. Then I am going to split the ten frames left into two five frame nucs and let them build up again. Is there any specific criteria for selecting queen cells-- biggest? Thanks.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Splits
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:03:36 pm »
I let the bees chose the queen... I wouldn't split them down that small.  A larger split will take off much quicker than a smaller split.  A smaller split is just too poor to quickly get a good start.  A medium sized (one deep box or equivelant) has enough resources to get going quickly.  If I'm trying to make increase I try to have at least the equivelant to one deep box full of bees brood and honey.  If I'm doing queen mating nucs, I try to get one frame of brood and one frame of stores... but the criteria is different. I'm trying to get a queen from the least resources...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
Re: Splits
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 05:46:44 pm »
Thanks Micheal, I have learned alot from your website. So I will probably let them build up and split again next spring.