Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mould on drawn foundation that was stored  (Read 1134 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Mould on drawn foundation that was stored
« on: April 11, 2010, 08:34:50 pm »
G'day Guys and Girls,

Now i have a feeling i know what the answer is going to be to this but i thought i would ask anyway.

I purchased some secondhand gear on the weekend - boxes, frames (with drawn foundation) - and i noticed when i was looking through the frames last night that there is one that has a little brown mould on it. The hive itself has a clan bill of health in terms of disease etc... I'm wondering what the best thing to do with this frame is. It has fully drawn comb on it and was stored in the freezer.

Will the bees clean the frame up and remove the mould or should i rip the foundation/drawn comb out treat the timber and put new foundation in? or can i just take out the section that has the mould spores on it and allow the bees to rebuild that section? I can put the frame in a deep freezer to kill any spores although they were already stored in a freezer.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Mould on drawn foundation that was stored
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:53:56 pm »
The bees will clean it up, but some people are spooked about second hand or used equipment.  But if you know where it came from and it's history, I personally wouldn't worry about it much.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Re: Mould on drawn foundation that was stored
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:37:40 pm »
Thanks Allen, That's what i was hoping you'd say  :)

I'm normally a little wary about used equipment but this all of the equipment looks good, the drawn comb etc (still has some honey) looks perfect and the guy is a member of a bee club and he knows what he's doing - he's not some backyarder who didnt care for his bees

anything