Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Considering it's practically July, should I super?  (Read 1524 times)

Offline livz2hunt

• New Bee
Considering it's practically July, should I super?
« on: June 27, 2009, 08:35:18 pm »
Newbie here. I have a colony of package bees started April 2. They have completely filled two deeps + 1 medium super with 6-1/2 frames of drawn comb and honey. Considering it is June 27 and getting dry here with a possible dearth coming soon, should I add another super right now, or wait and see if they complete drawing out the other 3-1/2 frames?
     There are lots of bees and they are still carrying in pollen and nectar. I'm not experienced enough to know at what point the honey flow ends here. My thinking is, if I add another super, they will not completely draw out those other frames in the first super.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Considering it's practically July, should I super?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 08:56:00 pm »
Wait until they are working on the ninth frame.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 09:02:14 pm »
I agree with iddee's advice, but watch them close. That many bees with a little nectar flow can work fast. You do not want that many bees to get crowded and have nothing to do. They will swarm.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 11:19:37 pm »
the sumac you have there should keep blooming for a while yet.
be ready to super soon!

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 11:22:12 pm »
Just my opinion, but I'd say super it again as soon as you can.  It certainly won't hurt to have another super on there.  Then you'll get some bees starting on that one while ther others finish up the first one.  You can always remove it if they never need it.

anything