Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: OOPS!!! I droped a frame........  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
OOPS!!! I droped a frame........
« on: July 06, 2009, 08:39:12 pm »
I was checking my hives today before vacation and lo and behold my swarm catch has both deeps below 90 % full and 4 of 10 lovely med. frames of honey!!!  How ever whilst checking frames of brood I DROPED the frame into the grass!!!!  I picked up the frame and put one of the empty frames on top of all the nurse bees on the grass so they could climb onto the frame... it worked but the inspection was OVER no smoke could calm these girls down I got stung 3 times on the wrist and twice on the other hand!!  Now my wrist HURTS I couldn't get to the stingers till I had the frames put back so by that time im guessing all the venom went into my wrist.  It was right on the edge of my gloves right where the veins are at.  Oh well part of the game right.  Some times you just feel like a dunce.  Today was one of those days.  But it was still fun.   :evil: :-D
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: OOPS!!! I droped a frame........
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 08:53:58 pm »
Dem thar bees are eddykational, ain't dey? Bet you won't do dat agin fer awhile.

:evil:  :-D  :-D  :-D  :evil:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 09:25:13 pm »
There are some occasions when you just have to smile at yourself!!

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:54:32 pm »
At least you know what it will be like next time !   :-D

Wait till you get Ole Arthur in the hands !!   :roll:

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:01:43 pm »
I dropped one this afternoon while looking for capped frames.  The honey frame was partially capped, but none of the honey fro the uncapped cells flew out when I dropped it.  The bees which were on the frame, however, flew everywhere. No stings at this point, but we were suited up at the time.  I was using frame grips and learned that it is quite easy to loosen one's grip when the attention is on the honey and not the grip.  I have learned.
Brian

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 12:23:05 am »
last year my 8 year old grand son was holding a frame for me ,, dropped it right on his shoes ,, he didn't move ,just stayed  there until I smoked his feet a little ,, lifted him and moved him over a few feet .. no stings ....  but that hive was one that no matter what we did it never got above a low hum ,you could do any thing with them .. it was the best kids hive ..

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 08:26:15 am »
When moving hives to another location, make certain the bottom boards are secure. Now why would I say that? :idunno: :rant: :rainbowflower:

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 09:00:09 am »
Next time I'd just leave the angry bees in the grass.  They'll find their way home.
Rick

Offline dragonfly

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 12:22:36 pm »
  I have learned.

You have now discovered the meaning of life. :) ;)

Offline charles

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 03:10:51 pm »
Next time I'd just leave the angry bees in the grass.  They'll find their way home.

bingo. that's also how I put the covers on. a knock or two on the grass and you don't have any more bees to try not to squish.
4 hives

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 05:32:44 pm »

bingo. that's also how I put the covers on. a knock or two on the grass and you don't have any more bees to try not to squish.
good plan, I wouldn't have thought of it by myself - are they a little angry from being knocked down?
be happy and make others happy.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 02:58:55 am »
I have problems at times with my hands just going limp, so I occasionally drop a frame. Not very often, but sometimes. But dropping a frame is nothing compared to what I dropped a couple weeks ago... An 8 frame deep full of honeycombs. Yep, dropped the whole box. My left hand just went numb and I dropped it. I was very fortunate, it was a honey box and not a brood box. No stings from that one, and no damaged combs either!

Offline charles

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 09:53:08 am »

good plan, I wouldn't have thought of it by myself - are they a little angry from being knocked down?

Never angry enough to do anything about it. They usually just crawl around for a minute or two and fly back into the hive. Just be careful not to step on them.
4 hives

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 07:42:21 pm »
I hate to get stung on the hands.  it just seems to swell over the first few days and hurts like heck.  No matter how careful you are, I think every beekeeper is going to drop a frame at some time.  Bummer.
We love the girls...

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 08:03:49 pm »
 Yep, thats why I made me a frame lifter out a pair of vice grips, with part of my left thumb missing my bees hated to see me coming, I think they took bets on who was gonna get dropped.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda