Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in hollow of tree question  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Patrick

• House Bee
Bees in hollow of tree question
« on: February 12, 2009, 12:59:06 pm »
Hi,
When honey bees move into a hollow of a mature tree will they make the cavity larger over time, and can this harm the tree (kill it?) My personal guess is no, but I have no direct experience with bees in trees.

Cheers,
Patrick

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bees in hollow of tree question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 01:29:31 pm »
no.  they will make use of the space that is there.

i picked up a swarm last year out of a tree that has had bees in it for years.  they throw 2 or 3 swarms per year.  i got a late swarm that was very small and has boomed since.  those are the kind of bees you want to have!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 01:39:39 pm »
no.  they will make use of the space that is there.

i picked up a swarm last year out of a tree that has had bees in it for years.  they throw 2 or 3 swarms per year.  i got a late swarm that was very small and has boomed since.  those are the kind of bees you want to have!

Great observation and comment kathy.

Understanding the smaller size of feral colonies, the swarming tendencies, and the power of first year queens, is something all beekeepers should know.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 06:16:09 pm »
Some trees that bees have moved into have real structural issues, either from rot, termites, rot and termites, lightening that struck the tree and killed part of the tree, etc...

Bees may be able to hollow out a rotten section a little bit to expand the colony. I've seen them chew other materials to expand the hive like pile insulation and foam insulation, but a solid section of tree in my opinion is too much for them to work on. A hollow that has soft wood, they could do.

Honeybees are not classified as a structural pest.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:06:11 am »
What JP aka: 'The Swarm King' is right on.

Bees do not directly cause the increase in cavity size by chewing or otherwise, rot or other issues does. 
The bees are merely opportunistic and use the space available to them.

The bees contribute to the rot by adding moisture that might not otherwise be present.
But they also propolize the inside and slow other rot. So there is a trade off.

[...the power of first year queens, is something all beekeepers should know.]

Though textbook, it is entirely different to see 1st and 2nd year colonies side by side.
But it should also be known, each can be exploited for their own unique reasons.
2nd year colonies behave different and structure combs and rear brood different than 1st year colonies.
So it depends on your purpose and needs as to which might  be better.

There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

anything