Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can these bees' lives be saved?  (Read 5748 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Can these bees' lives be saved?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 12:16:14 am »
bmacior, removing this colony now is the responsible thing to do. There is a chance they could be AHB, even if its a slight chance its a chance and according to Inquisitive, the colony is very near the front door. The people or person is elderly, another good reason to act quickly.

I agree, they need to be removed sooner than later.

If it was me, I'd get them out.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 09:29:43 am »

I agree its about putting people first.  Apparently the beekeeper who came to look, didn't feel it was worth his time (monetry gain) to the right thing.  All I'm saying is with the AHB increasing its range in the US, we as beekeepers may be called upon to remove a swarm that has set up housekeeping in a place that is not good for people or the bees; even if that swarm that will not increase (monetary gain) the size of our personal bee populations.

Most people were responding to a general question about the bees, without any information about location.  Location does change things in this case.

If it were me, and I was worried about AHB, I'd probably just nuke them, assuming a very small undeveloped hive.  Kill them dead.

There is very little gain in a tiny hive in the roof, especially if there is a lot of tear apart and repair.  For $200 at this point, I'd consider.  But for a hive that will fail anyway?  I like bees, but bees aren't sacred, if they are in a bad spot and not worth a dime, then they are about as worthwhile as a hornets nest and they have to go away.

That's my opinion.

Rick
Rick

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 09:44:43 pm »
They are in Southern NM.  I would have figured if they were in a Northern climate I'd leave them as they wouldn't be likely to be AHB and they probably wouldn't live through the winter anyway.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything