Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Struggling hive-got me puzzled??  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Kent J

• New Bee
Struggling hive-got me puzzled??
« on: August 13, 2008, 03:57:46 am »
I'm stumped.   I have two hives, SE Mich.  both were from 3lb packages this May.  Hive one is on fire.  just filled their 4th Med and are onto #5.  #1 was placed in all new hives and frames.  No drawn wax and fed for 1st month off of last years frame of capped honey.   #2 was installed same day into one large hive of drawn comb from last year.  They too were fed for 1st month with capped honey from last years crop. (laid horizontal on top of frames with cappes broken open) They were also given a couple of frames of  honey in hive.

It's now Aug and they are just getting 1st hive filled with brood and honey.  Frames have nice arraingment of honey on edges and brood in middle.  There are capped brood, eggs and some emerging young.  total number is barely over when they were installed.  Have not been able to locate queen, but feel she is present with all the brood.   Checked for mites and see none.  No other diseases that I can see. 

My fear is that they won't have enought honey stored for winter.  What should I do?  if anything.  I don't expect any honey crop from them, but I just want to get them through to next year.  I see also of what appears to be swarm cells or supercede cells on bottom of frames.   Some are sealed and some are open.

Any suggest on what to check for or plan for rest of season would be greatly appreciated.    This is only my second year and I'm still learning

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Struggling hive-got me puzzled??
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:49:09 am »
Sounds like the queen may have been a dud.  They may be superceding her.  If there are cells on the bottom, let them be and check them in a couple of weeks to make sure a queen is laying.

You can feed them until they have enough stores.   

Rick
Rick

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Struggling hive-got me puzzled??
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:36:39 pm »
All hives are not equal.  Some just fail.  Probably poorly mated queens are the most common cause.  But some just don't seem to get any breaks.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin