Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Found the Queen!  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
Found the Queen!
« on: May 05, 2008, 09:31:47 am »
On Saturday, I opened and inspected the two hives that I set up two weeks ago from 3# packages.  I was inspecting the frames one-by-one, starting with the end frame and working toward the center where "all of the action is"!  The gallon jar of 1:1 syrup was empty and most of the frames appeared to have had some activity on them (i.e. partially drawn out, some with stored nectar, etc.) with the center four frames having the typical larvae with stored pollen and capped honey at the top. 

On the third frame from the end and was surprised to see the unmarked queen tooling across the frame that had some partially drawn comb on it.  What surprised me was why she was so far out from the center of the hive that was installed only two weeks ago.  Is this normal or is a second hive body on the short horizon since most the frames are "in process"?
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Found the Queen!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 10:46:09 am »
Normal to find her where you did.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 02:01:36 pm »
Thanks, JP!  Thought I wouldn't have a chance to see her until I got to the center!

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 10:01:01 am »
I opened my five 3#ers, all 2 weeks old on Sunday and found all queens.  Although my 50 year old eyes cant read without reading glasses anymore, it was very sunny and I had no problem seeing eggs and larva with some capped and lots of stores.  Very cool!!!!!

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 10:34:53 am »
Yeah, it was pretty easy to see the queen even though she is unmarked.  She's a lot bigger and longer than I thought she would bee! 

And the "cresent" of pollen and capped honey was right where everyone said it would be as well!

I was also surprised by how heavy the frames are once you get some brood, honey, and pollen in them!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 10:40:09 am »
Yeah, it was pretty easy to see the queen even though she is unmarked.  She's a lot bigger and longer than I thought she would bee! 

And the "cresent" of pollen and capped honey was right where everyone said it would be as well!

I was also surprised by how heavy the frames are once you get some brood, honey, and pollen in them!

Yup, pure honey frames are impressive in weight. Honey weighs an average of 12lbs to a gallon.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com