Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: two queens  (Read 2126 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
two queens
« on: April 21, 2008, 09:22:06 am »
I installed 5-3#ers Sat. night.  I did the usual shaking as many bees as I could on the queen cage and in the hive.  I then placed the package in front for the remainder to walk in.  All went well except #2 had alot of bees that just clustered on the side of the hive stand.  I took a lid from one of the packages and used it like a dust pan sweeping and pour bees on the landing strip.  I had my reducers in place but not pushed in as far as it could go.  This left a small 4" crack at the other end from the small opening. On my first scoop a second queen shot out of the bees scrambled the length of the reducer before finding the small enterance and going in.  I now have two queens, one loose and one caged in the same hive. This package was also way more agressive

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: two queens
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:49:04 am »
So are you saying you got 5 packages and 6 queens by accident, or one of the 5 queens entered one of your set ups?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:58:16 am »
I got five packages and one had two queens, one caged and one loose. Now there both in the same hive.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 02:33:50 pm by danno »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:09:31 am »
Danno, there will be only one queen, they will duke it out.....too bad that that didn't happen where you had a colony to split, you would have had an extra queen for that split.  Beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 02:35:13 pm »
Yes i know only one will survive.  I'm just hoping it the young marked one

Offline Fish

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 08:08:06 pm »
I wish the multiple queens in one of my hives would fight it out.  I had a whole host of queen cells (high and low) a couple of weeks ago.  It was a crap shoot whether they would swarm or supersede.  Well they swarmed.  And again.  And again.  And again.  4 swarms captured from the same hive in less than a week.  An amazing site.  I have to assume that each of the last three queens are newly emerged.  Instead of mortal combat, when a new queen emerges, the "old" queen (newly emerged herself) just swarms.  I have caught them all so far.  And hopefully with a little luck they will have success in mating and return to lay.  The interesting thing about the mother hive is that there are at least 6 more queen cells remain.  I am keeping my swarm boxes at the ready for tomorrow's swarms.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 09:20:57 pm »
Laying queens usually don't duke it out.  Virgins do.  Laying queens usually get chosen by the workers.  The workers almost always choose younger queens as they make more of the right pheromones.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything