Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Dixon, CA  (Read 2341 times)

Offline katwester

• New Bee
Hello from Dixon, CA
« on: April 19, 2008, 06:35:01 pm »
Hi, I have 3 hives that I installed today. I got them from honey bee gentics in Vacaville, CA. Thing when well except when I jared one of the packages the feeder plug came lose and doised the bees in syrup. Boy did that p@## them off. I have screened mite boards, however I didn't use them. I used the full bottom board. For sum reason I don't like my bees exposed to the wind. I don't know if I'm right. There on cinder blocks. I will try the screens this summer, after I do some more research. I've heard you just let them hang in the wind, nothing under them but the ground. Is that right?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 11:29:14 pm by buzzbee »

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
Re: Hello from Dixon, CA
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:54:43 pm »
Welcome Katwester,

You can put boards on the cinder block and then the hives with the SBB on that if you wish. This way you can use the SBB  for the benefit of some mite control but not have the hanging in the wind. Good Luck

Dennis

Offline katwester

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 11:17:23 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I will do that in May.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 10:22:17 am »
Katwester.  Welcome to our forum.  You have found the best place to spend quality and great time.  A place that you can ask questions and get great answers, all questions are good questions.  Cool that you hived some bees, yep, they can get rather annoyed eh?  You found that out, hee, hee.  We are a curious and nosey (me in particular, I am Miss Nosey here) bunch of people, we have a great space in cyberspace here, you will make new friends and love your time spent within our community, have the most beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 10:40:57 am »
Hey Kat

We got our 2 new packages from honeybeegenetics as well. The are so gentle.  We picked them up last Saturday April 12, and I can't believe hoe much they have built up already!  Best of luck to you!

Sharon

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 07:29:45 am »
Hi Kat!

Hello and Welcome!

I recommend you update your profile with your location. Much of beekeeping is location-specific, and we probably won't remember your location when you post questions. Having it in your profile will help us provide answers that are focused for your area.

Regarding screened bottom boards (SBB): ventilation is a good thing and SBBs are a useful tool in combating mites. I leave my SBBs on all winter, and we go weeks at a time below freezing. No problem.

Are you connected with a beekeeping club? That's another great way to learn about bees, as well as finding mentors and nearby beeks you will help you out.
http://www.californiastatebeekeepers.com/affiliatedclubs.htm