Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How late is too late to start a nuke this spring?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Beekissed

• House Bee
How late is too late to start a nuke this spring?
« on: April 20, 2008, 02:41:00 am »
I want to start a nuke this spring but will have to wait until the latter part of May to do so.  Will this be too late to start it without having to supplement food supplies all winter?  If I have to wait this late, should I just start it next spring, as early as possible?

BTW, I live in WV and am looking for a used hive box and used equipment, if anyone has some!  One fellow in this state has already graciously offered to supply me with a nuke!
"...he maketh me to lie down in green pastures..."

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Re: How late is too late to start a nuke this spring?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 04:45:38 am »
You probably shouldn't start a nuke since the fallout can be really terrible and the radiation can last for a very long time... 

But for starting a Nuc, you can start them right through summer.  If there's no nectar, you might have to feed them syrup so they build up enough to make it through the winter.  Will this nuc already be established with bees + queen or will you install a package into them?  Or are you splitting an existing hive?

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How late is too late to start a nuke this spring?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 10:36:23 am »
August is too late to start a nuc here.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything