Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What area do your bees cover?  (Read 3370 times)

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
What area do your bees cover?
« on: October 14, 2007, 04:38:13 pm »
I have fiddled a bit with google maps and made a small application that can help you show what area your bees cover while foraging.  Take a look at http://bees.morkland.org/coverage/

Tips for improvements and other comments are appreciated.

Added a few minutes later:  I just tried the page in Internet Explorer (sort of, via linux) and it can look like it won't show the circles marking the distance right.  If some of you do get it to work in Internet Explorer, I would be glad to know.  It should work correctly in Firefox, though.  I better take a look at this soon, but have to go to bed now.  Bummer :-(
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 06:11:57 pm by eivindm »

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
Re: What area do your bees cover?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 05:19:19 pm »
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

I did something similar with Google Maps, but on my own preferences. I wish I could attach a small and affordable locator randomly to foragers to see where they mostly go in my area.

Regards,

UtahBees

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 07:37:26 pm »
That is pretty good, But I cannot pinpoint my location as easy with it as I can with Terra Server USA.
I have lived in my location from 1963 to present and I know every crook and turn in the woods and roads.
What makes it so good, It shows your house on Topographical and Aerial Maps with Kl and Mi. readings.
Then I just have to create the circles in my mind to Know how far it is to what forage that I know is in the area.
doak ;)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 08:48:37 pm »
Wow that is pretty good you guys figureing that out
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 08:50:11 pm »
That is pretty good, But I cannot pinpoint my location as easy with it as I can with Terra Server USA.
I have lived in my location from 1963 to present and I know every crook and turn in the woods and roads.
What makes it so good, It shows your house on Topographical and Aerial Maps with Kl and Mi. readings.
Then I just have to create the circles in my mind to Know how far it is to what forage that I know is in the area.
doak ;)

Did you click on the satellite option button? It gives an aerial map view 
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 09:57:23 pm »
Got it, neat.
doak

Offline bberry

• House Bee
  • Playing with wool is good for your soul
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 10:04:58 pm »
That's great-thank you. I viewed in internet explorer with no problem.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 12:35:24 am »
A very nice map function.

Very cool.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 04:38:14 am »
That's great-thank you. I viewed in internet explorer with no problem.
Thanks for telling me!  Glad to hear it worked, since debugging in IE is not very fun :-)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 09:47:36 am »
Thanks for this.  I've been wanting to plot something on a topo map but this is good enough.  I suggest posting this as a sticky.  Also, this works fine on Firefox.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 10:56:03 am »
Evindm.  I was shocked that this map worked for my area.  I am such a skeptic.  But yes, it worked well using Firefox and I could see perfectly how far my bees actually do forage around my property and onto the neighbours and the other neighbours and the other neighbours  :)

One doesn't really think how far a km is when not travelling down a road.  That was a cool experience, and thanking for tweeking the site to help us people along.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, love our great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 11:36:41 am »
One doesn't really think how far a km is when not travelling down a road.  That was a cool experience

That was my experience as well.  During the implementation when my first circle was drawn with radius 1 km, I thought my script must have had a bug when I saw on my local map what it included :-)  I live in an apartment in the city of Oslo (norway) and have no place to have a hive where I live.  I'm in touch with the local administration to get a permit for placing a hive in the forrests owned by the city.  I now see that of the different places I thougth about relatively close to home, it is not very important which site I choose, since they all cover an area much larger than I thought before I looked at a map :-)

anything