Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm trap ?  (Read 2953 times)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
swarm trap ?
« on: May 10, 2007, 10:20:21 pm »
i had a couple of boxes around from lost causes.  one i set, without much thought, next to a raspberry patch.  there is a huge amount of bee activity there now.  many of the bees are obviously not mine. 

?:  when placing an empty in hopes of luring a swarm, is it better to have it near an active bee area, or farther away? 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: swarm trap ?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 10:32:57 pm »
If you know where the hives are i would say stay about 100 yards away. If you don't know where the hives are but you see lots of bees. You can throw a swarm trap up. You don't lose anything by trying.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 11:24:31 pm »
actually, i do think i know where they are.  they are about 1/2 mile away in someone else's bee yard  :-).  i just wondered if a swarm was more apt to move into an active area like the middle of a raspberry patch, or farther away.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 11:35:25 pm »
actually, i do think i know where they are.  they are about 1/2 mile away in someone else's bee yard  :-).  i just wondered if a swarm was more apt to move into an active area like the middle of a raspberry patch, or farther away.
Swarming is the natural spread of bees. Yoyu could argue either way that the spread is away, however you can see Robo caught a swarm in an empty hive. My guess is this. If you make the trap seem attractive they will move to it. I would try about above the raspberries.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 09:18:00 am »
I would have said to keep it away from your current hives,  but after yesterday I think it is just a crap shoot.   The swarm I got yesterday landed in a super sitting right next to the only beehive in my area for many miles.  Go figure.   The part that I find even more interesting is that they chose to hang in a empty super laid on its side and partially exposed instead of the empty hive with drawn comb and some honey right next to it or a vacant TBH with comg and honey right behind it.    Perhaps they where just preparing to move into one of them and I just found them too early.

In hind sight, I have seen a lot of activity around the empty hive the last week, but just assumed it the active hive next to it robbing out the honey.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 09:33:29 am »
HA! i'm seeing tons of activity around my two bait hives, i sure hope a swarm will move in! they seem to really like the smell of lemon grass since most of the bees are trying to get in at the back, hehe

i wonder if i could bee-line the swarm scouts...surelly would raise my chances in getting that swarm...

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 10:48:13 am »
well, i have one box near my hives and one a couple 100 ft away near the berries.  we'll see what happens.  it was robo's luck that made me think about the placement of boxes.  i  thought you had better luck away from your hives, but now i'll leave that box.

Offline papabear

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 12:42:43 pm »
My main hive is from my stored boxes in a barn. In the fall they moved in and now I have made 2 splits off of the swarm. At my house I put a box out and put drops of lemon-grass oil on the tops of some frames. Within 2 weeks I had a swarm move in. Very small swarm so I combined them with a swarm I caught 3 weeks ago. They are all doing good. (Thank GOD)
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 08:26:59 pm »
So let me see if I have this correct...a swarm trap can consist of just a hive body with ..? frames and foundation.  I do not have any drawn out stuff...only new frames with wax coated plastic...

Should fill the hive body with the frames and soak a guaze with lemongrass oil?

Curious...Sounds like fun, if a swarm does come...I did have a swarm on my land once long ago, and got to help the beek remove it!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 10:12:57 pm »
>So let me see if I have this correct...a swarm trap can consist of just a hive body with ..?

Sure.

> frames and foundation.

If you like.

>  I do not have any drawn out stuff...only new frames with wax coated plastic...

Old comb works better, but if you use some lemongrass oil it won't matter much.

>Should fill the hive body with the frames and soak a guaze with lemongrass oil?

Soak a gauze?  No, I'd just put four drops of it on one of the top bars.

Curious...Sounds like fun, if a swarm does come...I did have a swarm on my land once long ago, and got to help the beek remove it!
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 11:21:33 am »
My intention this year is to set up a couple of swarm boxes around my property.  It will be enticing to them I hope.  I have drawn comb left over (lots) from last year, and will use the lemongrass oil that I purchased.  It cost me about $2.00 for a little vile that should last years and years.  I am going to have some posts pounded in the ground and a landing attached to it so that the hive body can sit on the landing and can easily be removed.  Of course, my husband is my builder, he loves to do that stuff, so it is fun, elaborate, but fun stuff.  Have a wonderful day, great life, and great health to boot!!!   Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 02:56:46 pm »
I set out two myself, only w/o drawns comb. Keeping fingers crossed.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

anything