Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long for workers to start Laying?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
How long for workers to start Laying?
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:15:02 pm »
Hey guys,
Question: On average, when do workers start laying? Two weeks without a queen? One? Three?

I'ved had a queenless hive for almost 3 weeks now. They have plenty of food stores. I surely don't want to brush ALL the bees off that hive and basically start over again. I haven't actually checked if there are multiple eggs in a cell, or tons of drones, but thats that. Just wondering.

Jake

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: How long for workers to start Laying?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:23:15 pm »
i had one go queenless late winter.  didn't catch it in time and lost the hive.  weather was so bad i put off getting into the hive.  never did have a laying worker.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:07:29 pm »
Check your capped cells. If all are dome, and not flush with the rest of the comb. then you have a prob.
worker cells should be even with the comb.
Has any one told you, or have you read how to shake a worker laying colony?
Let me know and I will tell if someone else don't beat me to it.  :roll:
doak

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 09:58:16 am »
Yep yep, you have to shake EVERY bee from the hive like 100 feet away. I just checked yesterday, and the bees FINALLY have 3 capped queen cells. (phew). Hopefully those 3 will pan out, and i'll get atleast 1 queen... Anyways, I split one of my massive hives about a month ago, and they already look like they should be split again. I'll probably split them again in about 2-3 weeks when they hatch another round of brood and I should have eggs. I have to let them build on that duragilt, which means they have build it up. Man I hate that stuff, I think i'm just going to start buying pre-built foundation which will save the bees quite a bit of time.

Jake

anything